DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Get Copyright from Harry Potter

I am very upset because this server doesn't have Copyright from HP. The new names (Hogsworth (Hogwarts), Hogsend (hogsend)) are confusing me. I think it would be better with the real names.

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
There isn't really much that can be done about it, and just think of it as a whole new universe really. You don't need to know what here is the same as in the HP universe - you don't need to know what pw lore equates to what hp canon.

Also, a lot of places in pw don't have an equivalent in hp canon so trying to equate everything and see them as the same in your head could just confuse you more.

Although you think it would be better with the real names, its really not possible.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I can't see this ever happening - not only would the Server Owners have to sell their soul to J.K Rowling and WB Studios - but WB probably wouldn't be giving away rights to an Open World Harry Potter Game with Hogwart's Legacy coming out this year. The Off-Brand names are something that will have to stay and I have noticed the longer the server has been around - the more they have moved the names away from the HP universe.
Example -
was called Nimbus 2000 > Nimblemax2000 > Now - Scarlett Nebula
was called Firebolt > Fireflash > Now - Thunderflash

Personally, I don't mind the change in names at all - the fundamentals are there. Although I agree it would be better with the real names, its really not possible.

Last edited:
Mallaidh, if you mean Appleby Village or another town that is just a respawn area, they can be removed from the server. If you know "Witchcraft and Wizardry" exists. If this Map could get Copyright, this server can!

Mallaidh

Librarian
Mallaidh, if you mean Appleby Village or another town that is just a respawn area, they can be removed from the server
These aren't 'just respawn areas' and they can't just be removed from the server. A lot of effort went into creating these, and towns that don't house quests are just as important as towns that do house quests. They keep the map lively, and are places to explore - my personal favourite town Rushstone doesn't have any quests at the moment, but I love it all the same.

Also, I fail to see how Appleby Village is the only one this applies to? Almost all of the pw towns don't exist in HP canon. You can't just remove these as removing all of them would leave the map bare and empty, and also means that there is nowhere for the majority of in-game quests to happen.

What I meant in my post was all of the towns with PW lore, which I made very clear, and these are also the ones you are saying could just be removed. These are all the towns that would be removed:
-Haggleton
-Rushstone
-Antrum
-Gnollberg Port
-Greenshore
-Appleby Village
-Wigtown
-Eldham Ridge
-Squalus Cove
-Longbay Landing
-Tristmoor
-Wightwaye
-Edgebrook
-Portstead

If I missed any off this list, or have accidentally put one down that does have an equivalency in hp canon, please tell me and I can edit it.

If you meant locations that don't have any quests, thats still quite a few towns that people enjoy to explore and do have points and purposes in the game that would just be removed after all of the effort put into them.

As for Witchcraft and Wizardry getting copyright, keep in mind that Potterworld makes money off the server and what it creates. Now, I'm not entirely familiar with copyright laws so please correct me if I'm wrong here but Witchcraft and Wizardry doesn't make money off of HP products, so it has nothing to worry about really. However. PW would be making money off of HP products which I believe is one of the big reasons we need to have lore in the first place? Could be completely and entirely wrong there, but I think the fact that PW has a store does make a big difference here.

Finally, its really not in any way easy to 'get copyright'. Its an extremely complex legal process which I'm not familiar with, and I'm sure you're not familiar with, and is a lot of work for something that the server really won't benefit from. I highly, highly doubt they will look at a suggestion and decide to enter this extremely complicated legal process in order to complete this suggestion.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this has been made a suggestion in the past - lore has been around for a long, long time. Many people have wanted it to change, and the decision has been no every time. I don't think this will change now.

Last edited:

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
if you mean Appleby Village or another town that is just a respawn area, they can be removed from the server
That's just a really bad idea. The map feels more than empty already. Removing things from it won't help.

Also, it's impossible to get copyright for Potterworld fan made multiplayer server compared to a singleplayer map, since the experience is vastly different.

These aren't 'just respawn areas' and they can't just be removed from the server. A lot of effort went into creating these, and towns that don't house quests are just as important as towns that do house quests. They keep the map lively, and are places to explore - my personal favourite town Rushstone doesn't have any quests at the moment, but I love it all the same.

Also, I fail to see how Appleby Village is the only one this applies to? Almost all of the pw towns don't exist in HP canon. You can't just remove these as removing all of them would leave the map bare and empty, and also means that there is nowhere for the majority of in-game quests to happen.

What I meant in my post was all of the towns with PW lore, which I made very clear, and these are also the ones you are saying could just be removed. These are all the towns that would be removed:
-Haggleton
-Rushstone
-Antrum
-Gnollberg Port
-Greenshore
-Appleby Village
-Wigtown
-Eldham Ridge
-Squalus Cove
-Longbay Landing
-Tristmoor
-Wightwaye
-Edgebrook
-Portstead

If I missed any off this list, or have accidentally put one down that does have an equivalency in hp canon, please tell me and I can edit it.

If you meant locations that don't have any quests, thats still quite a few towns that people enjoy to explore and do have points and purposes in the game that would just be removed after all of the effort put into them.

As for Witchcraft and Wizardry getting copyright, keep in mind that Potterworld makes money off the server and what it creates. Now, I'm not entirely familiar with copyright laws so please correct me if I'm wrong here but Witchcraft and Wizardry doesn't make money off of HP products, so it has nothing to worry about really. However. PW would be making money off of HP products which I believe is one of the big reasons we need to have lore in the first place? Could be completely and entirely wrong there, but I think the fact that PW has a store does make a big difference here.

Finally, its really not in any way easy to 'get copyright'. Its an extremely complex legal process which I'm not familiar with, and I'm sure you're not familiar with, and is a lot of work for something that the server really won't benefit from. I highly, highly doubt they will look at a suggestion and decide to enter this extremely complicated legal process in order to complete this suggestion.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this has been made a suggestion in the past - lore has been around for a long, long time. Many people have wanted it to change, and the decision has been no every time. I don't think this will change now.
The Riddle Manor is in Haggelton, the place with Voldemorts Rise too. So we can let Haggelton live.

xxXperteXxx

Magician
Minecraft IGN: xxXperteXxx
Auralock Serpent
I think buying the Harry Potter Copyrights from JK Rowling and WB would cost billions, which is too much for a Minecraft server. I personally like that Potterworld chose to have its own lore since this opens new opportunities for new adventures and stories. If the lore names are confusing you, try this lore glossary. Some words aren't up to date (e.g. the broom names) but for the most words it should work

Mallaidh

Librarian
The Riddle Manor is in Haggelton, the place with Voldemorts Rise too. So we can let Haggelton live.
I feel like you've missed the point of my list entirely, as all of the other ones would be going away meaning the game would lose the vast majority of quests, the map would be empty, there'd be barely anything to do overall after so, so, so long working on all of this thats just removed.

I personally like that Potterworld chose to have its own lore since this opens new opportunities for new adventures and stories
I agree with you here! Even though Potterworld comes from Harry Potter, its very much gotten more of its own thing and has lots of experiences, areas, towns, etc which are seperate from the world of Harry Potter.

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
Potterworld started by being entirely based on HP but has since become its own entity and gained independence. I love working on the original lore and ideas.

Mallaidh

Librarian
Then I have a question: Does a server with "Wichcraft and Wizardry" exist?
No. Witchcraft and Wizardry is a singleplayer map inspired by Harry Potter.
Edit: I stand corrected! There are, however, no public servers for Witchcraft and Wizardry. A few people have private servers for it or run LAN worlds for it I believe, but there are no public servers and there are most certainly not servers the size of Potterworld for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Mallaidh

Librarian
I'm really confused as to how you would do that. I am assuming you mean making it into a public server as to how Potterworld is, and I think that would go against the wishes of the creators of the map (I'm sure they don't want their map to become a public server without their permission and ran by someone other than them).

And also, if you are saying you would create a server to be the exact same size or bigger than Potterworld, I'm afraid to say you'd likely have to have lore names too or something similar. I don't see how being unable to say you know who's name is a big deal? I guess it can be a little immersion-breaking for some having lore names but really I don't think being unable to say 'you know who' is a reason for Potterworld to go through this legal process.

I'm really confused as to how you would do that. I am assuming you mean making it into a public server as to how Potterworld is, and I think that would go against the wishes of the creators of the map (I'm sure they don't want their map to become a public server without their permission and ran by someone other than them).

And also, if you are saying you would create a server to be the exact same size or bigger than Potterworld, I'm afraid to say you'd likely have to have lore names too or something similar. I don't see how being unable to say you know who's name is a big deal? I guess it can be a little immersion-breaking for some having lore names but really I don't think being unable to say 'you know who' is a reason for Potterworld to go through this legal process.
You can make a singleplayer map to a server. EXACTLY the same will happen with Witchcraft and Wizardry.

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
You probably would have to ask the owners of the map for permission. And you can always try out other Harry Potter-inspired servers if you wish! This server has its own terms and names which really cannot be changed at this point.

Mallaidh

Librarian
Could you please clarify what you'd intend to do here? Would this server be private, just with you and friends, or would you make this a public server to grow as big as Potterworld? Private Witchcraft and Wizardry servers exist, but a public server likely would be brought down by the creators of Witchcraft and Wizardry and it would also have to oblige by the same reasons that Potterworld has to use lore terms.

This server has its own terms and names which really cannot be changed at this point.
And yes, I agree with Sky here. Lore is now so intertwined with Potterworld that it really at this point can't be changed - not without a lot of effort, and discarding the past effort of other people. Although, you have made it clear that you don't think the past effort of others is a problem and that peoples work isn't significant from how you suggest that all towns that don't exist in HP canon can and even should be removed.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
Hey buddy friends.
Just wanted to say that I am no lawyer but from what I understand of the Copyright Act of 1976 and the various Supreme Court cases that followed I just wanted to say:
1.The fact something makes money is not the only factor as to whether something is Fair Use, it is one of many. (Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.)
2.A key factor is whether the use of the work is transformative, as in whether the use of the work creates something that is substantially different from the original. (17 U.S. Code § 107)

The reason I am saying this is that obviously if you republished all the HP books with only different names for the characters everyone would understand that would be copyright infringement because the work would not be transformative. The same is true for PW, but because it is a Minecraft server, they created the builds on their own, it is for a commercial purpose, and they added a whole bunch of stuff in addition to the base HP stuff it is in somewhat of a fair use gray area that can only really be decided by a court. To my knowledge just changing the names doesn't really do anything to make it more of a Fair Use on its own, its just an extra precaution to make it feel more distinguished from the original. If Staff wanted they could change back the names and it probably would not substantially hurt their Fair Use case.

That being said, I really do like the new names and they have added so much in addition to the base HP stuff that changing the names would take a lot of time and wouldn't make a lot of sense. Changing the names means that there is no expectation to stick to the original locations and monsters, freeing them creatively to make whatever magical things they want.

(Once again I am not a lawyer so don't trust anything I say, if I said anything wrong actual lawyers please don't kill me)

Last edited:

Max Fireheart

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Maxymoos
Griffin Phoenix
I'm going to have to say that I agree with everyone else's points. The whole reason Potterworld has it's own lore seperate from cannon is probably a mix of cost, limits to creativity, and more. The other thing to think about, additionally to everyone else's points above, is if this does happen, ten or so very hard working members of the Lore team would be out of their jobs. That's incredibly unfair, and they definitely don't deserve that. Everyone on the team has such perseverance and creativity, and it would be a shame to see that go.