DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Quabbleball (yes, again) Rule Interpretation

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Pt. 1:
Change it so a Defender is only allowed to have the ball for 7 seconds. If it exceeds this, the Quaffle is dropped out of their inventory and their right-click receives a 3 second cooldown (so they can't snatch it back immediately).
The above sounds like a good idea to resolve the thread's issue.

Pt. 2:
This is more in terms of permanent-lock from Beaters, but, make it so when a player is knocked down by a Beater, they receive a 5-6 second protection where they cannot get knocked off again.
Where did this come from!? One step at a time, Deniz! Plus you already nerfed Bruiser before! -- I think that the amount of time for protection needs to be considered such as being equal or a second more to the Bruiser's cooldown? Then again, Passers will seem to have it easy due to how the quabbleball falls straight down to where a Passer gets knocked off, essentially negating the Bruiser's skill. Point 2 needs a separate thread.

Lilian

Dragonologist
Minecraft IGN: Liyl
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent
there's normally more than one passer in a game, which means that when a passer gets knocked or hit the other passer can pick up the ball, meaning that the ball will not fall back to the original passer. secondly, grounding passers is somewhat the same as def stalling as they both essentially take away a team's ability to score (one being more scummy than the other). both methods are unfair to the team being either stalled or grounded. both methods making it a searcher only game. the original thread suggesting spawn prot is here. also, the elongated cd is based off of the stun that's given to a passer being hit. essentially the end game here is to eliminate perma stunning and give passers a brief amount of time where they can fly before the next stun.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
there's normally more than one passer in a game, which means that when a passer gets knocked or hit the other passer can pick up the ball, meaning that the ball will not fall back to the original passer.
I've noticed the quabbleball fall back toward the Passer many times over whenever I'm using the Bruiser role. It's frustrating cause you knock that passer out and the ball just falls straight down to that same passer on the ground or sometimes this passer that gets knocked will be quick to catch the ball in the air but still fall.

secondly, grounding passers is somewhat the same as def stalling as they both essentially take away a team's ability to score (one being more scummy than the other). both methods are unfair to the team being either stalled or grounded.
It has been said before by others that Bruisers are meant to bruise so why nerf their skill even more? Equating Bruisers grounding Passers to Defenders holding the quabbleball doesn't make sense due to the skill needed for the Bruiser to ground, but Defenders that hoard the quabble are essentially flying and evading - no skill, just flying faster than a Passer can. Just played a game a few minutes ago where @thatgirlkenna was Defender and ended up holding the quabbleball for close to 20 seconds until the game ended. It was kind of a close game, but shady for her to do that. A Passer can always try to evade Bruisers if they time their moves right, but a Passer trying to steal a quabbleball back from a Defender takes even more time to get down.

EDIT: Added video to show what happened during the game -

Last edited:

Lilian

Dragonologist
I've noticed the quabbleball fall back toward the Passer many times over whenever I'm using the Bruiser role. It's frustrating cause you knock that passer out and the ball just falls straight down to that same passer on the ground or sometimes this passer that gets knocked will be quick to catch the ball in the air but still fall.

It has been said before by others that Bruisers are meant to bruise so why nerf their skill even more? Equating Bruisers grounding Passers to Defenders holding the quabbleball doesn't make sense due to the skill needed for the Bruiser to ground, but Defenders that hoard the quabble are essentially flying and evading - no skill, just flying faster than a Passer can. Just played a game a few minutes ago where @thatgirlkenna was Defender and ended up holding the quabbleball for close to 20 seconds until the game ended. It was kind of a close game, but shady for her to do that. A Passer can always try to evade Bruisers if they time their moves right, but a Passer trying to steal a quabbleball back from a Defender takes even more time to get down.
i get why the ball falling back to the passer can be frustrating, but honestly if the other passer can't pick up the ball then that's just a rip from the start.

also i'll admit bruising takes a lot more skill than a defender just flying around, but going for a bruiser nerf is mostly just tryna equal out passer and searcher scoring. like if i'm being grounded while someone on the other team is searching they're easily granted at least 30-120 points, while i'll probably get a max of around 10 points (and even that takes A LOT of skill if there's a sentient passer or defender on the other team).

^ also some might point out that you can just sick a bruiser on their searcher, but that's a lot less efficient and a lot harder than taking someone's passer out of full commission

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
I have not played QB in quite a while and this strat emerged literally right after I left. I also main def, and I personally would never use this strat. It is kind of clever, but it does seem kind of unfair at the same time. Deniz's proposition would make this not only a valid strat, but also make it fairer to the opposing team.

mayu lettuce

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: mommymayu
Auralock Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Pt. 2:
This is more in terms of permanent-lock from Beaters, but, make it so when a player is knocked down by a Beater, they receive a 5-6 second protection where they cannot get knocked off again.
uhh as a passer and bruiser main i think 5-6 sec prot would be too long, i suggest making it 2-3? it would give most passers enough time to swerve out of the bruisers grasp and gather enough speed, but if the bruiser is a good player the passer would still be close enough to shoot them out of the sky/catch up to them

also deniz play qb more its fun !!!!!!!

RubberButt

Magician
Minecraft IGN: RubberButt
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin
The above sounds like a good idea to resolve the thread's issue.

Where did this come from!? One step at a time, Deniz! Plus you already nerfed Bruiser before! -- I think that the amount of time for protection needs to be considered such as being equal or a second more to the Bruiser's cooldown? Then again, Passers will seem to have it easy due to how the quabbleball falls straight down to where a Passer gets knocked off, essentially negating the Bruiser's skill. Point 2 needs a separate thread.
"One step at a time" the bruiser nerf thread has been posted almost a month ago, this is from yesterday. If they're fixing the stall issue why not nerf bruiser aswell?

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Pt. 2:
uhh as a passer and bruiser main i think 5-6 sec prot would be too long, i suggest making it 2-3? it would give most passers enough time to swerve out of the bruisers grasp and gather enough speed, but if the bruiser is a good player the passer would still be close enough to shoot them out of the sky/catch up to them
Yeah, I'd be worried that the Passer role would be unbalanced if they had the amount of protection that Deniz mentioned. What if the Passer wasn't able to throw or drop the quabbleball after they got stunned/knocked by the Bruiser? They would only be able to activate their broom to try and fly away, but their ability to throw would be nerfed during their protection cooldown. This would help the Passers to avoid being grounded, but make sure that the Bruiser's role is still worth using in the game.

Bruiser bruises or knocks down Passer.
Passer has protection to let them use their broom to fly away.
Passer is "too stunned to throw the quabbleball" during protection period.

Frebii

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Frebii
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
Yeah, I'd be worried that the Passer role would be unbalanced if they had the amount of protection that Deniz mentioned. What if the Passer wasn't able to throw or drop the quabbleball after they got stunned/knocked by the Bruiser? They would only be able to activate their broom to try and fly away, but their ability to throw would be nerfed during their protection cooldown. This would help the Passers to avoid being grounded, but make sure that the Bruiser's role is still worth using in the game.

Bruiser bruises or knocks down Passer.
Passer has protection to let them use their broom to fly away.
Passer is "too stunned to throw the quabbleball" during protection period.
Passers wouldnt be OP. Searchers and Bruisers rn are though.

mckenna varulv ❦

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: xokenna
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Passers wouldnt be OP. Searchers and Bruisers rn are though.
I think a 2-3 protection for Passers would be good, and you can't throw the Quabbleball in that time. I also think that Defenders should only hold the ball for 6 seconds max, because it bothers many people when someone stalls with the ball (I know it bothers me when im on the opposing team)

mayu lettuce

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: mommymayu
Auralock Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I think a 2-3 protection for Passers would be good, and you can't throw the Quabbleball in that time. I also think that Defenders should only hold the ball for 6 seconds max, because it bothers many people when someone stalls with the ball (I know it bothers me when im on the opposing team)
eh i think the def time could be longer than that bc defs can also score whole-field goals if they're accurate enough and i dont want to take that away, and gaining enough altitude to actually score one takes some time. i dont really like stalling either bc it takes the fun out of the game when done for long periods of time, but (personally) im fine with defs doing that for a few seconds to let their passers fly out/dodge other players and such, so a hold time of ~8 secs would be fine for me (opinions?)

Deniz

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: DenizTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP SPEW
If searchers really are that much OP, we can always make it slightly harder to grab the snitch as well - our snitch AI is really smart and really customizable, so all it takes is tweaking a few things.. not saying that's what I want to do, but the offer is on the table if that is what you guys want :)

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
If searchers really are that much OP, we can always make it slightly harder to grab the snitch as well - our snitch AI is really smart and really customizable, so all it takes is tweaking a few things.. not saying that's what I want to do, but the offer is on the table if that is what you guys want :)
Maybe I am biased in terms of being a searcher main, but the issue has never really been with searchers, but with how easy it was to cancel passers via bruiser or defender making searcher seem OP in comparison.

Lilian

Dragonologist
honestly it's just the defensive roles that are broken- def's too weak and bruiser's too op

zara

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: zeeemoney
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
pls let bruising live don't nerf it even more, i main passer and bruiser like mayu and from both perspectives, 5-6 is like way too long and it would probably make bruisers feel a bit helpless but 2-3 would b good bc grounding is wayyyyy too ez if it's not someone like lily and it's kinda annoying from a passer perspective

i don't search like ever but pls nerf searching even a LITTLE bit bc sometimes it's just painful when someone like tilly or tall catches 5-6+ in a game and you can't really do anything abt it so KILL SEARCHER PLS

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I've noticed that some Searchers are able to catch the snidget twice within 5 seconds. Is there a way to have a cooldown where the snidget magically calculates where a Searcher is located and then respawns a snidget on the opposite end of the field?

What if there was a cap on the amount of snidgets that spawn within the game? Lets say 5 snidgets per game. Each of them spawns for only 59 seconds but despawns and lets another one spawn. If the Searcher catches a snidget at any time, the cooldown would last until the next minute begins - then a new snidget will spawn.

Another idea is to increase the speed and difficulty on catching the snidget everytime it is caught by the Searcher. An example is making the first 2 snidgets easy in a way like 10 m/s speed, then the third snidget takes it up to 12 m/s, then gradually goes up every 2 m/s to a max of 20 m/s. Unsure on how fast the Searcher's broom is, lets say 15 m/s, so make the initial snidget 17 m/s, then add 2 m/s after every snidget spawn. Hopefully that makes sense?

Just trying to throw ideas to see what sticks here.

mckenna varulv ❦

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: xokenna
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I've noticed that some Searchers are able to catch the snidget twice within 5 seconds.

What if there was a cap on the amount of snidgets that spawn within the game? Lets say 5 snidgets per game. Each of them spawns for only 59 seconds but despawns and lets another one spawn.
I like this idea. It's so frustrating when the opposing team has a really good Searcher, because they could catch 5 Snidgets in around a minute. And sometimes, Searchers actually carry their team to a victory. I think there should be a cap on how many Snidgets, like Psycho said.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Or make it realistic - Super hard to catch even a single snidget - Some games you wont catch any. But boost the score to 50-100? So even 1 would have a huge impact on the game!