DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Pride on Potterworld
Feature
Written by Serpentella
Edited by MakkChi

Hello lovely readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner! I feel like our last issue of the Daily Diviner was just yesterday. May has gone by quickly, and June is nearly upon us. Along with ringing in the summertime, June brings about a very important celebration: pride month! In this month dedicated to celebrating the history and advancements of the LGBTQ+ community, players and staff on Potterworld can celebrate in-game through the pride event.

However, many new players may not have been able to experience the pride event yet! As June approaches us, I decided to reminisce on the ghosts of pride month past-- specifically last year’s pride event! The 2020 pride event brought forth a fun mini-quest and multiple LGBTQ+ Hogsworth students to go along with it. Once you finished this quest, the Transfiguration Courtyard was available for shopping, photo-ops, and more. Banners, flags, and other fun collectibles were able to be purchased with gold. Though it was a simple event compared to the famous Christmas or Valentines’ Day events, I adored the 2020 pride event. I still proudly display my pride flag to this day! To get a preview of the 2021 pride event, I spoke to Frost, a Magiventologist, about the upcoming celebration. Let’s see what he has to say.

What changes can we expect to see in comparison to the 2020 pride event? (What does Revelius have to do with these changes?)
Frost: “One major change you can expect to see with this year's Pride event is more gameplay compared to previous years. We have also created additional rewards that I am confident will delight players with their sparkle. Alongside this, we have also planned some fun and colourful activities for the community to enjoy. I won’t say more about this but I’m confident players will love the event and the amazing builds done by the Build Team when the Pride event is released.”

What were some ideas/goals you had going into the process of designing the pride event?
Frost: “Some of the idea and goals we had going into the designing the Pride event were to ensure that Pride on Potterworld allowed players a chance to express themselves and celebrate their identity alongside the rest of the Potterworld community. We have also worked to ensure that all the content within the event celebrates Pride and the LGBTQIA+ community. Another idea that we had going into the event was to make sure that the event showed our support for Pride and gave others within the Potterworld community a way of doing so. So far, I can say these goals are progressing very well.”

Pride month is a very important month to much of the Potterworld community. How does Potterworld- and the hardworking Magiventologist team- hope to put a magical spin on this celebration?
Frost: “Well I can’t leak too much since I still have to maintain the surprise but I can tell you that the Magiventologist team has planned for Pride to take place is what might be one of the busiest magical areas of the world. I’m certain that players will enjoy seeing such a familiar area covered in Pride decorations that the Build Team has done a fantastic job on. We have also worked to incorporate activities and challenges that only someone from the magical world can solve.”

Do you have any other comments?
Frost: “I’m incredibly happy with the work that has gone into the Pride event and I hope that the community enjoys playing it as much as I enjoyed working on it.”

From Frost’s previews, I can say with certainty that I’m very excited for the 2021 pride month event! To me, though, pride month means a lot. Being on Potterworld has brought me great pride in the LGBTQ+ community as I meet others who are part of the same community as myself. I’ve seen strength and individuality exemplified by hundreds of players and find myself meeting many people I admire. Most of all, pride on Potterworld to me means being true to yourself. I’ve grown to be proud of myself and each and every player on Potterworld. The pride event gives everyone a chance to appreciate the strength and togetherness of the LGBTQ+ community as we bond over a server that we all love. What’s better than being proud?

I’m excitedly crossing out the days until June 1st! Pride month is nearly here and I simply can’t wait. I would like to thank Frost for his contributions to this article. I'm sure all of you readers will enjoy the upcoming event and continue to reflect on last year's. I hope you’re all as thrilled as I am! With that, I’d like to thank you all for reading this issue of the Daily Diviner. Have an amazing day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Rapid Roleplay Rundown!
Editorial
Written by chail3y
Edited by bluecherub

Welcome back to the Editorial column of the Daily Diviner! Over the past few weeks, there has been lots of activity in Roleplay. Three Breaking News Editions were released, and many of the factions are in the midst of conflict. Today, I want to catch you all up on the state of the community.

First up, the Phoenixes. On Apr 27th, the 17th Breaking News edition titled: An Honourable Departure was released, stating that the Council of Cinders made the executive decision to send Joshua Pendragon, the Lord of the Phoenixes, away with Andreu Zoldyck, the Flamekeeper. They found a safe location to keep Andreu and search for the cure to his Paralotum Maxima curse.

I spoke to Arabella Pendragon, the Embersage and Max Fireheart, the Sunseeker, to see how the allegiance has been affected since the departure of their incredibly influential leaders.

What has it been like since Joshua and Andreu have been gone?
“I miss them both so much; I'm happy, though, that Joshua has taken Andreu somewhere safe. It's been a learning curve. It's insane seeing just how much they both did, especially Joshua. I'm glad to have Max, though. It’s been different, but hopefully will become normal soon.” - xArabella

“Having Joshua and Andreu gone has been rough on the Phoenixes; we all miss them very much. Arabella and I are learning so much on this journey about the Phoenixes and ourselves. We've been through a lot together, and we'll get through this just like before. Everyone is working hard to make the transition smooth.” - Maxymoos

Have you had to step up at all with their recent departure?
“Max and I have both had to step up together. We have had meetings to talk about what to do next and the future of the Phoenixes. We are so lucky to have so many amazing members in our allegiance that help out.” - xArabella

“Responsibilities that once fell on Joshua and Andreu have fallen to us, now. With the help of other Phoenixes, we have delegated work to make things easier on all of us.” - Maxymoos

Any general news you wish to share?
“I plan on having more fun TBA's for the Phoenixes, so Phoenixes: keep an eye out for that!” - xArabella

“There's not much going at the moment! The alliances are being sorted, and we are planning different activities and some training sessions.” - Maxymoos

Any additional comments you would like to make regarding anything covered today?
“These last few months have been difficult for our allegiance, but I am excited to start getting everything back to our kind of normal. Stay strong Phoenixes. I am so proud of you all!” - xArabella

“We have endured quite a bit over the past few weeks, but we will continue to strive. Patience, strength, and courage are all necessary for a successful outcome.” - Maxymoos

Despite the challenges they are facing while leaderless, the Phoenixes have been on the lookout for clues and evaluating theories relating to the mysterious occurrences.

Speaking of which, the Phoenixes and Aurorlocks are no longer in alliance following the events in the 18th Breaking News edition, Unicorn Forest Catastrophe, released on May 1st. Many Unicorns, along with three Aurorlocks on patrol that night, were found deceased. Upon investigation, the Phoenixes were named suspects. Matt Griffiths, Chief Aurorlock, had already cut ties with the Phoenixes several days prior, but this only solidified that decision.

This brings us to the current state of the Aurorlocks. I spoke with Rani Lightwood, Deputy Aurolock about the events at the Unicorn forest:

“Since receiving the report regarding the Unicorn Forest catastrophe, we've had multiple units inspect the area. Unfortunately, we have not discovered any new clues that could lead us to the person(s) responsible, and the evidence we currently have is not nearly substantial enough to make accusations. The High Command and I have come to the conclusion that the party involved was harvesting Unicorn Hair, as its properties are widely used in potion brewing, but are unsure of which potion. The Aurorlocks involved in the investigation and I will continue to search for any leads regarding the incident.” - Melioraa

The Aurorlocks are on high alert and have been busy with several investigations, heightening their awareness of the tension arising in the wizarding world around them.

As if everything I’ve covered isn’t enough, the 19th Breaking News edition titled: A Last Howl, released on May 14th, tells of the Aurorlocks receiving reports of Werewolves murdered at the Werewolf Shelter in Hogsend by what appears to be Unforgivables.

Thus enters the Werewolves. The attack only further rattled the already unsteady pack during these dangerous times. Given the Unforgivable evidence, the Aurorlocks concluded that the Dark Followers were the likeliest suspects. However, it was hard to maintain crime scene integrity as the surviving werewolves refused to leave their fallen pack members, making any legitimate charges impossible.

Following the release of the Aurorlock reports, the Werewolves ended their alliance with the Dark Followers.

That takes us to our second to last group, the Dark Followers. Now that they are no longer allied with the Werewolves, they are officially facing all other factions. Since they have enemies within all of the groups, they have chosen to stay relatively quiet to avoid conflict.

Our final group is the one with the least information: the Vampires. Since the loss of the Vampire Count, Aure Pendragon, they have remained in a period of recovery.

I would like to thank xArabella, Maxymoos, and Melioraa for their time. I hope this shed some light on the current state of Roleplay. Thank you all for reading, this was chail3y reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Daily Diviner Feedback!
Editorial
Written by saphirite
Edited by MakkChi

Greetings, fellow Witches and Wizards, and welcome back to the Editorial Column of the Daily Diviner! In this week’s issue, we will be covering the recent form sent out by the Poltergeists and some of the exciting questions that it mentioned regarding what people would be interested in seeing within the Daily Diviner while also predicting what these new implementations would mean. Without further ado, let’s get right into this article!

In the form, there was a multitude of questions regarding our publication and rating different ideas on a scale from 1 to 10. However, the questions that stuck out the most on the form were the possible new additions to the Daily Diviner. For example, a question that was asked was: “On a scale of 1-10, what do you think about the addition of a mystery column within the Daily Diviner?”. This column could be interesting. Maybe it has something to do exclusively with something on the server that could be coming soon? Perhaps a sneak peek of something extravagant? Or maybe even a puzzle map article of some kind, with riddles and such! Who knows! Regardless, this is something to look forward to if implemented.

Another question that was asked on the form was: “On a scale of 1-10, what do you think about the addition of a column dedicated to player experiences within the Daily Diviner?”. I could see this being a hit on the server. Maybe it will include possible stories of players throughout the many years of them playing on Potterworld or how they found the server and how it has impacted them in a beneficial way. Perhaps we will get to know more soon about what this possible addition would mean!

Lastly, another question (and my personal favorite) asked in the form was: “On a scale of 1-10, what do you think about the addition of an advice column within the Daily Diviner?”. I love this suggestion as I think it could be advantageous to most people on the server! It could potentially be server-related with advice on solving riddles or the essentials of completing a quest. Maybe it could be real-life based with Minecraft mechanics, like how to stay organized IRL and on your Potterworld housing. . I honestly cannot wait to see how this possible addition could blossom if added.

Overall, I am super thrilled of these suggestions as it gives us a glimpse of what could be coming to Potterworld and the Daily Diviner. With that, this brings us to the end of the article! We covered some interesting suggestions and possible implementations coming to the Daily Diviner and some predictions of what they could mean for the Daily Diviner. I cannot wait to see what comes in the future! All we can do now is wait and see what comes next! Thanks for reading! Until next time, the Daily Diviner team.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Choco Crazy - AtherielOA
Student Spotlight
Written by Becaologies
Edited by MakkChi

Hello, and welcome back to the Student Spotlight column! With several different collectibles available in Potterworld, it’s no surprise that seasoned players have some impressive collections. Player AtherielOA is no exception with his extensive Choco Hop Collection! I had the opportunity to talk with him about his outstanding dedication to his collecting.

1. When did you join Potterworld?
I joined Potterworld originally in 2015, but just recently came back in January this year.

2. When did you start collecting choco hops?
I started collecting around a few weeks of coming back during January time.

3. Why/How did you start?
At first it was a bit of a joke, but then I just grew to them. I wanted to have one of the largest if not largest collections on the server. I even moved to older Choco Hops which are maps or as I call it, scrolls. They were around 2015 onwards if I'm correct.

4. Which is your favorite?
I have an Albus Dumbledore old map Choco Hop which would be my favourite.

5. Which is your rarest?
My rarest would be my Merlin and Albus Dumbledore Choco Hop maps.

6. Which do you have most of?
I would say I’ve got around 6 double chests full of Newt Scamanders and other rare cards.

7. Which one did you want the most if you didn’t already have it?
If I didn't have my Albus or Merlin cards then they would be the ones I'd be focusing more towards getting. They are the rarest and most expensive within the Choco Hops, especially with the old scrolls.

8. What’s your end goal for your collection?
To have every single old scroll from 2015 time, I’ve already completed the current Choco Hops and also all the Winter Waltz cards.

9. What do you want other players to take away from your dedication to collecting?
If there is one thing I can say to anyone is: collect whatever you like and whatever you take most pride in and love, I don't look at my Choco Hops for the gold. I see the history it has been through and who may have possessed it before me.

10. Do you have any other large collections?
I have quite a large random collectibles collection, I have all of the original brooms for example the Meteor 5000, Nimble Max etc.

11. How do you store your cards? (In chests, on display, etc.)
Some of the cards are displayed in my large chest room, otherwise a lot of them are in chests due to me being too worried I’d lose them. They have too much personal value.

Atheriel’s collection is one you don’t want to miss out on seeing, so make sure to ask to see it next time you see him online! Also, a big thank you to Atheriel for his insight. ‘Til next time!

Do you know anyone on the server that stands out (cool housing, a museum, active in RP, do something cool outside of PW, etc.)? Nominate them here for a chance to be our next Student Spotlight!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Celebrating Pride Month through Fashion!
Lifestyle
Written by Joyellen
Edited by bluecherub

Welcome back, lovely readers, to issue 37 of the Daily Diviner! In this edition of the Lifestyle column, we’ll be discussing fashionable ways to celebrate Pride Month. Pride Month takes place in the month of June and is held in commemoration of the 1969 Stonewall Riots, a protest that spurred the international gay rights movement that continues to this today. Pride Month is dedicated to celebrating and recognising the LGBTQ+ community and its influence on society today. A subtle yet stylish way that some show their support for Pride Month is through sprucing up their wardrobes to represent pride.

One way to revamp your wardrobe for Pride Month is by totally rainbow-fying your clothing! Implementing the famous rainbow flag colours into your outfit is a bold fashion statement that can be used to show your support. However, if a rainbow outfit is too out there for your taste, then incorporating colours from other pride flags works as well. For instance, an outfit incorporating the colours pastel pink, blue and white from the Transgender flag would work equally as well! Another creative idea is to tie-dye pieces of clothing in rainbow colours. This would not only be a great way to incorporate pride into your outfits, but it would be a fun activity you could do with friends!

However, if a colourful outfit is too difficult to assemble or just too bold for your tastes, using jewelry to show your support for Pride Month works just as well! One idea for pride jewelry is a pendant resembling one of the LGBTQ+ flags, whether it be the flag itself or its colours. Beaded bracelets are a subtle yet charming piece of jewelry which can be worn in celebration of pride by following the colour patterns of the flags or representing LGBTQ+ slogans.

Another idea for incorporating your support for pride into your wardrobe is through your shoes! For one, you could use shoelaces in LGTBQ+ colours, like pink, purple, and blue to represent the bisexual flag. However, if you want to be more creative, you could get a pair of white shoes and DIY your own pride designs with paint and pens!

These are only some ideas you can use to implement your support for Pride Month into your wardrobe, but whether you decide to use the ideas in this article or celebrate in a completely different way, I wish you all the most amazing Pride Month! This has been Joy reporting for the Daily Diviner. Have a spectacular day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
How The Astrological Signs Prepare For Exams
Lifestyle
Written by plsGwenny
Edited by bluecherub

As the school year is coming to an end, exam season is only just beginning, bringing stress along with it. Are you prepared to re-learn the information you need to succeed? Before you start to worry, keep reading to find out how your astrological sign should prepare for their exams. Don’t be shy; pick up a new study tip while you’re reading to get yourself ready for your exams!

Nothing can extinguish the fire signs’ love for a good adrenaline rush. Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius tend to be adrenaline junkies, and finding ways to implement that into their studying routine will fight off procrastination. Do something active before studying or take workout breaks to ride the adrenaline rush into your study session. Additionally, playing adrenaline pumping music with an energetic beat may make studying more enjoyable. These signs tend to thrive under pressure, so be sure to think outside the box with your study habits!

Why are water signs so detail-obsessed when they study? They like to be Pacific of course! While Scorpio, Pisces, and Cancer enjoy reviewing details, they enjoy competition even more. These competitive signs would benefit most from turning studying into a game. Setting challenging goals centered around learning stimulates their desire to win which in turn helps them learn. Rewarding yourself with a treat after a long study session can motivate even the laziest water sign!

Studying is in the air, so crack open those books, Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius! For these signs, organization is key. Keep a planner to jot down what needs to be reviewed for each exam and to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed. To aid in organization, they should figure out which learning style suits them best: visual, auditory, or kinesthetic. Don’t be afraid to look for a change in scenery, either! Get out of the library, classroom, or common room once in a while and try studying outdoors. A good breath of fresh air can reinvigorate your desire to learn.

When it comes to studying, it’s best for earth signs to remain grounded. For Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn, it’s best to build up a strong foundation of solid learning. Begin planning early to avoid rushing your studies. Practice makes perfect, so try engaging in five to ten practice problems before trying a real one. Earth signs experience the best results when they maximize comfort while studying! Study by the fireplace or in a cozy sweater with yummy snacks to promote learning. Be sure to take care of your sleep schedule. Don’t cram everything into your brain in one late night session; your brain processes what you’ve learned while sleeping!

Remember, no matter what your sign is; try not to overdo yourself with studying. Pace yourself, and stay hydrated during this exam season. Try not to study alone; collaborate with the other signs—mix and match study tips and habits to form what fits YOU best! Thank you for reading the 37th issue of the Daily Diviner, and remember: you got this! Good luck, and happy studying!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Healthy Exam Snacking!
Lifestyle
Written by Silquer
Edited by MakkChi

Hello wonderful readers, and welcome to an exclusive Lifestyle article! H.A.T time is here (or, in some cases, already gone), and with it comes the stress and constant worry of studying. After all, there are many house points on the line, and even if exams have already passed for you, there are still a few weeks left, and it can be stressful to keep grades up.

If you’re a stress eater like me or just want a snack while studying, it can be hard to find something yummy and good for your health; luckily, I’ve found some amazing recipes to help you out with that! From frozen blueberry treats to healthy chocolate-covered almonds, you’ll never go hungry during exam time. Let’s get started!

Our first snack is a frozen delight: frozen yogurt-covered blueberries! These tiny fruits are addicting to eat and very healthy. They’re small and easy to snack on and a perfect treat when you’re on the go. For this recipe, you’ll need a pint of blueberries (or however many you’d like), 1 cup of vanilla, non-fat greek yogurt, and 1 tablespoon of sugar or a sugar substitute. You’ll also need a bowl to mix the blueberries in and a baking sheet and parchment to put the blueberries on so they can freeze.

To make the blueberries, mix the yogurt and sugar or sweetener. Then, fold the blueberries into the mixture until they’re completely coated in the yogurt. Depending on how many blueberries you’re using, you may need to do this in two batches instead of one. Then, use a levitation spell (or your hands, if you’re feeling adventurous) to move the blueberries onto the baking sheet. Finally, freeze the blueberries for an hour or until they’re completely frozen.

There are also some variations to this recipe. You can use any sweetener in place of the sugar to make the recipe healthier, and you can always change the type of yogurt. You could also change the type of fruit. You don’t have to use blueberries! Enjoy your new easy-to-eat treat.

The next snack is a healthy trail mix. This snack is full of delicious and nutritious ingredients, and it’s portable and easy to bring along with you wherever your studying takes you. You’ll need 1 ½ cups of raw nuts, 1 cup of raw seeds, and 1 cup of unsweetened, dried fruit for this recipe. Once again, you’ll need a bowl, as well as a place to store the mix when you’ve finished making it.

The best part of this recipe is that it’s completely customizable! You may have noticed that I did not specify any of the ingredients. That’s because you can choose whatever you’d like! You can use peanuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, cherries or blueberries, or even add in a cup of dark chocolate or popcorn. You can also coat all of your ingredients in maple syrup to add an extra kick of sweetness. Once you’ve assembled your perfect trail mix ingredients, put them together in a bowl and mix it all together gently with a spell. Store in a jar or Ziploc bag, and enjoy!

The last, but certainly not least, snack recipe is dark-chocolate covered almonds. This is easily my favorite recipe on the list, combining a delicious chocolate recipe (that I’ve already covered in a past Lifestyle article) with healthy almonds. You will need ¼ cup of cocoa powder, 3 tbsp of coconut oil, 3 tbsp of maple syrup or another sweetener, and 1 cup of raw or roasted almonds. You’ll also need a saucepan, a bowl, a baking sheet and parchment paper, and, of course, magic.

This recipe has a few more steps than the others, but it’s still very simple. First, let’s start with the chocolate. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. Make sure to keep a close eye on it as it melts. Then, add the oil, cocoa powder, and maple syrup to the bowl and stir. Levitation spells come in handy during this step! While the newly-made chocolate is still hot, add in the almonds and mix them until the almonds are completely coated. Finally, transfer the almonds to the parchment-lined baking sheet and let them air dry (or freeze) for an hour. Once they’ve set, either enjoy them now or store them for later.

There are a few things you can change with this recipe as well. Instead of using maple syrup for the chocolate, you can try honey. You can also use a different nut besides almonds. A personal choice of mine would be peanuts, but it’s up to you. Get creative!

So, what did you think? Are you going to try any of these? I suggest you do! They’re easy to make, delicious, and fun to snack on during exam time and beyond. If exams happen to be finished for you, try saving these recipes for next year. Good luck to everyone with any exams left, and happy snacking!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Smallest Heroes
Original Works
Written by Silquer
Edited by bluecherub

It was quiet in those moments before. The house elves were huddled in a corner of the kitchens, listening and waiting. Hogsworth above was just the same, full of anticipation and silence.

Jeannie, snug between her elf-mates, listened and waited with the rest of them. A few sniffles here, a couple of footsteps from above there, but it was otherwise quiet. Until it wasn’t.

In a sudden burst of intensity, there came an explosion from above, a spell that rocked the foundation of the castle. Small pebbles and dust fell from the ceiling, and the elves moved closer to each other, if that were even possible, whimpering at the sound.

It didn’t stop after that. In fact, it only grew louder.

Shouts and blasts became a chorus above, and the elves could only hope that the fighting didn’t find them. The din above them shook the ceiling. Was that a troll? Jeannie shivered in fear. The roof isn’t thick enough, she thought.

In that next hour, it felt like ages had passed. Then, the battle shifted. Everything fell unsettlingly quiet for a moment.

And the silence was broken.

Deafening thuds echoed through the kitchens, slowly growing closer and closer, and the elves could only stare in petrified silence as a colossal troll suddenly came into view, waving its club in wild swings that smashed the walls and shook the very foundation of the kitchen.

At first, the elves stood still, frozen with fear. Then, they came to their senses as a whole, letting out a collective scream, then dashed in a herd to their dormitory as the rage-filled troll advanced.

Jeannie, however, was stuck in place. She watched in a panic-stricken haze as she was left behind with the stumbling troll. It took a few stuttering steps toward her, but it was only when the troll stared down at her and roared into her face that she sprung into action. In a rush, her senses came back, and she saw her fellow elves watching on in horror. She wasted no time after that.

She barely dodged the next club swing, rolling onto the ground to avoid the oncoming strike. She looked around the kitchen for something, anything to help her escape this nightmare - and then she saw it. Opportunity.

The shelves, of course.

She dashed across the kitchens towards the elves, much to their surprise, and began climbing one of the shelves piled with pots and pans and crates. The troll followed, blinded by instinct, and began clawing at her small frame. It bashed the wall repeatedly, and Jeannie shook from head to toe, climbing the shelves and praying none of the wayward troll fists hit her on the way up.

All it took was one lucky hit, the strike Jeannie had been waiting for, and the shelf began its slow descent. The troll stood, head cocked to the side in surprise as the shelf fell with Jeannie riding it and crumbled under its weight on impact.

The troll roared one last time, then fell silent.

Jeannie rose from the rubble and stumbled unevenly to the elves in the corner. She didn’t make it very far before a great rumbling came from above, and the whole world went black.

---​

When she came to, she was under a pile of heavy debris. She couldn’t breath, could barely move her chest, and was about to panic before she realized: it was quiet.

She sagged in relief into the uncomfortable shards of stone. The Battle of Hogsworth was over. Even if she was buried beneath who-knows-how-many feet of rock and debris, she could finally relax.

Just as the thought crossed her mind, the darkness was lifted, and she saw the sky again. Wait, the sky?

There was shouting, the silhouettes of wizards and witches lifting rubble, and suddenly Jeannie was being lifted from her rocky tomb. She choked on the dust as she was carried out on the shoulder of a student. She looked up and saw the other elves being rescued all around her, as relieved-looking as she was.

The student put her down, and she lay down for a moment, staring at the wreckage. The battle had done a number on the castle (an entire portion of the roof had collapsed, and Jeannie could see the sky above), and the students in it. They looked tired. The elves were scattering as well, as if unsure of what to do. Jeannie herself didn’t know what to do, either.

“Did you do that?” Came a voice from behind her.

Jeannie turned to look at the student it had come from. “What?”

“That,” the student repeated, pointing to the troll that was still, apparently, visible beneath the caved-in roof.

“Oh,” Jeannie said, feeling a bit woozy. “I suppose I did.”

“That was very brave,” the student said gently.

“What now?” Jeannie asked, gesturing to the rubble.

The student sighed. “We rebuild. It starts with the rubble, I suppose.”

Indeed, students and teachers alike were already lifting stones with magic and clearing out the courtyard.

Jeannie stood. This was her home too. “How can I help?”

The student looked over at her and smiled. “By lifting a few rocks.”

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Finals Frenzy
Original Works
Written by bluecherub
Edited by kvmw

Cara sat in the Great Hall, munching on food and punching her friends’ shoulders while they cracked jokes. While her friends laughed raucously, she was anxiously awaiting something important. The owls, as if hearing her internal cries for them to arrive, soared into the Great Hall, dropping care packages to the overworked students, alongside letters filled with parental encouragement.

Her letter dropped into her lap, ending her anticipation. Ripping it open, she scanned the pages hungrily.

“... Cara, while I would love to let you and Dani travel to France this Summer, I must stress the importance of you passing your S.M.U.G.’s again. Like I told you, they’ll be excellent references to put into your resume, and that’s far more important. If you pass at least one, then I suppose I wouldn’t mind funding that trip…”

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°​

Dejected, Cara shuffled into her best friend Dani's room. She fell backward into her bed, groaning. “My mum is making me pass the S.M.U.G.’s in return for going to France. By the looks of things, I’ll never get to travel with you,” she sighed dramatically.

Dani turned to look at her for the first time since she had entered the room. “Maybe, if you were studying for the S.M.U.G.’s like I am right now, then you wouldn’t be so worried.”

Cara shot her a pouty look. “Alright, alright. I know how to take a hint. Good luck with studying!” she called, already on her way to the library.

“You too!”

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀​

Cara walked into what she thought was the library (she had never been), but was greeted instead with a battlefield. Students sprinted to and fro, tackling one another and snatching books out of each other's hands. The librarian looked beyond crazed, shouting at students to “Stop that!”, “Put that down!”, and “Stop biting him!”. She had no clue where to start, but when she turned to ask the librarian for help, she was nowhere to be found. Hearing snuffles, she crept towards the desk to find the librarian rocking back and forth and mumbling hysterically: “They do this every year…”

After the war-torn library settled down, she made her way towards the shelves. Although she wasn’t entirely certain what she would need, she knew she would have to start studying as soon as possible if she wanted to pass her S.M.U.G.’s. Browsing the ransacked shelves, she picked out a litany of volumes related to her current subjects and checked them out herself, since the librarian was still in panic mode. Books stacked high enough that she had to crouch to carry them out the door, she made her way back to her dorm to start cramming.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀​

The Herbology classroom was near-silent when she walked in. Students nervously reviewed notes while the teacher patiently answered last-minute questions about the S.M.U.G.. Cara sat down, heart pounding, but she felt more prepared than ever before.

Soon, the test began, and she read the first question:

In a Tier 3 Piercing Potion, which of the following herbs is NOT included, and why?
  • Asphodel
  • Nightshade
  • Gurgle Weed
  • Why:

She blanched.

What on earth is a Tier 3 Piercing Potion, and how does that have anything to do with Herbology?!

Cara took a deep breath. Just think about summer in France, eating croissants, chatting up French wizards, and walking through the Louvre with Dani.

Slowly, she reread the question’s options: Asphodel, Nightshade, Gurgle Weed. She recalled Asphodel was a potion stabilizer, while Nightshade was used to sharpen a potion’s effects. Gurgle Weed, on the other hand, was for water-related potions.

A piercing potion, based on her brief cramming session on Potions in her dorm, had nothing to do with water, so she circled Gurgle Weed, explained her answer, then moved on, gaining confidence in her ability to answer the remaining questions as she moved onto the next.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀​

A month later, Cara and Dani stood together, their luggage packed and floating behind them. They each held their result letters, envelopes unopened and trembling in their shaky hands. On the count of three, they tore them open and scanned the pages hungrily.

“I GOT AN E!” Cara screamed. They both squealed and jumped up and down. She had passed!

Overjoyed, the girls embraced, already chattering excitedly about France and all the places they would see and people they would meet while they were there. Nana and Gramps would just have to make do on their own this summer. Cara was going to France.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Meet the Media Team
Meet the Staff
Written by Serpentella
Edited by MakkChi

Hello lovely readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner and this exclusive web-only article! In case you are just tuning in, this Meet the Staff series introduces the staff roles on each team and gives readers an insider's look into the inner workings of the server. Our last addition to this series showcased the Academics team. In the third installment of our Meet the Staff series, we’ll be taking a look at the spectacular Media team!

Media is one of the largest departments on Potterworld and features a wide variety of talents, roles, and tasks. From working with the community to creating and helping to promote in-game content, Media lends a hand in many aspects of Potterworld’s magical experience. In fact, this publication you’re reading currently, whether in-game or on Potterworld’s website, was created by the team. Without further ado, let’s meet today’s representatives of the Media department!

We’ll be hearing from seven members of the department today. From the Arithmancer team, we have Nick, representing the Skin Arithmancers; Crymson, representing the 2D Arithmancers; and Rani, representing the 3D Arithmancers! Joshua will be representing the Potterwatch team, and Shane will be the representative for our very own Daily Diviner team. Finally, Kala and Jay will represent the Wiznetworkers and Artworkers, respectively. Let’s see what they have to say!

What do you do in this position?
Joshua: “As a Director, I primarily focus on streaming. I usually stream the tournament streams in which I spectate and join the arena team in their voice channel to get their commentary and perspective while it is going on! I've also done Potterwatch Hangout streams where I get to hangout with the community and play some games! I've also made videos in the past, such as the Walden Trailer, in which I worked with performers to create a cinematic teaser for Gameplay Update 1.2.0.”

Rani: “As a 3D Arithmancer my job is to create renders for the beautiful graphics you see around the server! We create the previews for the items on the store, make the renders of different characters and models for banners and help create the thumbnails for Potterwatch Videos!”

Nick: “As a Skin Arithmancer, I make skins for the server. You can see these in various quests, activities, shops, videos, store graphics, events, etc.”

Crymson: “I create graphics for the server - things like the 7th anniversary logo, server banners, and other fun stuff.”

Shane: “As a Daily Diviner Producer, I help manage the day-to-day running of the Daily Diviner Team, as well as take part in the release process that gets our articles to the public.”

Kala: “As an Expert WizNetworker, I handle basic responsibilities on the WizNetworker team which involves planning posts, making captions for them, writing WizNewsletter sections, and working on projects! Since I am a senior member of the team, I also assist with basic management for the team which involves quality checking, leading projects, helping others with their responsibilities, giving feedback, and helping consider new WizNetworkers for the team.”

As you can see, the Media team covers many aspects of gameplay and the community! You may have seen the work of some of these representatives already. Now, let’s take a peek at some behind-the-scenes details!

What is your favorite thing about this department/position?
Joshua: “My favorite part about being in the Media department & more specifically the Potterwatch team is working with Performers. I get so excited when I get to ask if anyone wants to participate in a stream or video, and it is such an amazing job to have because we get to have fun!”

Rani: “I'd say my favourite thing about my position and the entirety of Media in general is how laid-back and friendly everyone is. We all get our work done on time, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun doing it! Everyone communicates even in roles where it's not necessary, like Arithmancer, and we learn from each other”

Nick: “My favorite thing about this position is how flexible my schedule can be. Skin Arithmancer is a really chill position, you get to work on your skins in a pretty timely manner, meaning that we get a lot of time to work on them. I also really like our little community of Arithmancers. We are all really kind and funny, so we always have a good time.”

Jay: “Coming up with ideas for the community to enjoy! I also really enjoy making the art that goes into the store!”

Crymson: “My favorite thing about this department is how well everyone gets along and is supportive of each other. Media was my first department when I became staff and Sunnya and the entire department was so helpful when I had so many questions!”

Shane: “I have always adored the sense of family in Media and in the Daily Diviner in general. From department/team rituals to memes that last for years and years, you'll never feel like you're not in a family when you're a Daily Diviner team member, or member of the Media department in general.”

Kala: “My favorite thing about this position and being in Media in general is that I have a lot of space to contribute my own ideas. I am constantly coming up with ways to improve the team and our content, and I'm glad to have the space to be able to actually work on these ideas and establish them. It's allowed me to make really cool content that I can look at and feel proud of.”

What do you find to be the most unique thing about this team?
Joshua: “I think the most unique part about the team is our love for racoons and a friendly environment. Everyone is so positive when leaving feedback on videos & it is a super awesome experience! Racoons are always the best performers!”

Rani: “In my opinion the most unique aspect about the Arithmancer team is that our work is used through all departments. Unlike say WizNetworker, where their work is purely for the social media accounts, ours goes to every department; from Academics all the way back to Media!”

Nick: “We can be very chaotic at times, but this builds character and allows for the team to create this special bond that grows over time. Being comfortable with your peers is very important, especially with Skin Arithmancers. We are able to go to each other asking for feedback on skins to improve the quality of the server.”

Jay: “Outside of working with the amazing staff, I really enjoy making the models for Potterworld. It's different then what I do for my normal work, it's like a pixelated version!”

Crymson: “The most unique thing is definitely the different types of work you can do and how you're encouraged to think outside of the box and new ideas are always welcome and supported.”

Shane: ”I find our self-motivated drive and creative nature in writing to be the most unique part of this team. Obviously the Daily Diviner is the only team to handle writing professionally on the server, but I think our spin on it and our lovably determined team members really make us different than just your average news organization.”

Kala: “The most unique thing about this team is that we get to connect with a community using one of the most prized things today, which is social media! So many people use social media. It's amazing to be able to create content for them and interact with them.”

What kinds of projects are you currently working on?
Joshua: “As of now, I'm just focusing on streaming. I have been thinking of possibly adding new types of streams though, and I think it could be interesting for the players. When summer starts, I'll definitely be working on a video or two, maybe a teaser? I guess you'll have to wait and see!”

Rani: “At present I'm in the process of making some renders for some upcoming videos being released to the youtube channel. Other than that, some general renders that might be used in a range of different projects. Maybe store releases or maybe even renders for the upcoming Wiki.”

Nick: “I just finished working on some miscellaneous skins that you will get to see around the server if you explore!”

Jay: “Secret, but future releases for the store! I also work on designs for systems and future tech for the server.”

Crymson: “I just got finished working on some of the 7th anniversary graphics (like the logo) and there are some other fun things that I'm working on right now as well.”

Shane: “My constant project on the Daily Diviner team is to ensure that the process of article creation and release is as smooth as possible.”

Kala: “I am currently working on the 7th Anniversary Competition that has been released, and I'm looking into creating more competitions and similar projects in the future. I'm also working on coming up with ideas for more content that we'll be releasing, which you'll be seeing on our social media page in the near future!”

What’s the hardest part of being in this position?
Joshua: “The hardest part about being in this position is what you don't actually get to see as a player. During recording sessions, we often have bloopers, and I think that is the hardest part of the job. You aren't expected to get it right the first time, but it may be challenging or scary especially if you are new on the team. A tip from me, if you mess up, I won't get mad, and I'm usually chill about it.”

Rani: “I wouldn't say there's a hard part about being in this position, but if anything I'd say probably trying to keep up with the skill level of your fellow Arithmancers. You always want to do better and they push you to do that. That's not a bad thing, but it can be difficult sometimes!”

Nick: “The hardest part about this position would have to be how detailed everything needs to be. We have a certain style that we like to follow to keep everything rather cohesive, but it’s most difficult when we have some really obscure requests and we need to think of ways we can translate that into Minecraft.”

Jay: “Maintaining balance and keeping the creative spark for new content.”

Crymson: “The moments where you have a creative mindblock. Luckily the Leadership and other team members are always great for feedback and having a second set of eyes or opinions.”

Shane: “Funnily enough, I often feel that the hardest part of the position is competing with my incredibly determined co-workers to get things done! By no-means is there nothing to do, but often there can be friendly competition between us to see who can get the most things done the quickest.”

Kala: “The hardest part of being in this position currently is organizing projects. All of our projects and project ideas are very new, so the team has had to figure things out as we go. There's not much of a model that we can follow for everything, so it's a bit difficult to get some things going. Once we do get things going though, we've been able to produce amazing content.”

What is the team environment like in this position?
Joshua: “The team environment to me feels like a big group of friends. We like to laugh, we like to joke around, but in the end we do get our work done. It's such a great team environment, and I encourage everyone to apply for Director if they are interested in possibly applying.”

Rani: “So Arithmancers don't really need to communicate a whole lot unless we need help or we're working [on] a proper project together, but we still do talk and teach each other little tricks that we know! So in short, the team environment is pretty homely if anything.”

Nick: “Like I said before, we are all really chill and everyone is very friendly with each other. We always get our work done fairly quickly, so we are also extremely productive.”

Jay: “Since I work with all departments, it's great all around! It's an honor being able to work with so many passionate and creative people!”

Crymson: “Super chill! :)

Shane: “The team environment in the Daily Diviner is incredible. Everyone is friendly with each other and conflict is a rarity. You will always feel supported and among friends on the Daily Diviner team!”

Kala: “The team environment in this position is wonderful. Since we are a smaller team, we all constantly work with each other, which has allowed us to get closer to each other and grow as a team.”

As a member of the Media department, I can vouch for the unique environment on the team! At this point, you may be interested in one-- or more!-- of the positions featured today. Our interviewees share their experiences with applying:

What did you expect when applying for this position? Was it anything like what you thought it would be?
Joshua: “When I first applied for the position, I thought it would be difficult and hard, but turns out, it is a really chill position, and the media team in general is as well. Everyone is so welcoming, and so supportive of your creative work made on the team. It feels great when people come to my streams, or watch some of my previous videos. Potterwatch is a great team, and so is Media! It was my first position on the staff team, and it holds a special place in my heart.”

Rani: “When I originally applied for Arithmancer I thought I would be overwhelmed with requests. I see how each department uses the images we create and thought that I'd be pretty hectic. When I actually joined though I found that it was pretty calm and chill. Everyone works at their own pace but everyone gets their work done.”

Nick: “When I applied for this position, I knew that it was going to be exactly what I was expecting. Skin Arithmancer is a very straight forward position, as for all the other Arithmancer positions. You usually will know what the position is like when you apply for it.”

Crymson: “I wasn't really sure what to expect but joining Media first was one of the best decisions I've ever made.”

Shane: “When I applied to become a Daily Diviner Writer almost three years ago, I really didn't know what I was expecting other than that I would be writing a lot. However, it quickly became apparent that the Daily Diviner team and Potterworld team in general is one of the most supportive, friendly, and fun out there! And while I most certainly did my fair share of writing, it was never overbearing or difficult to the extent of threatening my time to handle my real-life responsibilities.”

Kala: “I had been waiting to apply for this position for the longest time. So, when applications had finally opened, I was very excited. I was (and still am) a big fan of social media, so I expected that this would be the perfect position for me. It definitely met those expectations and more. I've been able to work on so many new things that I find myself able to take pride in. I've even worked my way up to the senior position of the team, and I am more than happy with where I am.”

As our interview draws to a close, you may be inching towards creating an application already; I don’t blame you! Before we bid farewell to these team representatives, let’s see if they have any final words of wisdom.

Any additional comments?
Joshua: ”Have a fantastic day!”

Now, I’d like to close out our interview and thank all seven lovely interviewees for their thoughtful insight! Seeing the various teammates, roles, and perspectives that make up the Media department truly shows how diverse the team is. The Media team is incredibly hardworking and passionate about their roles. Their dedication shows through in their final products, such as the Potterwatch videos and store items created! Being in this wonderful department is a blessing and I can say with certainty that it is truly an amazing group of individuals. I’d like to thank all members of this department for their work on the server. With that, I’ll be signing off! Thank you for reading this installment of Meet the Staff. Have a lovely day!

Status
Not open for further replies.