DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Thoughts On the Revelius Update...

HeyJared

Magician
Minecraft IGN: HeyJared
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Werewolf SPEW
Overall, I think the Revelius update is good, but there are a few changes that I think players are having a hard time adjusting too. In my review on the update, I'll give my thoughts on the good and bad changes of the update. I'm merely posting my own thoughts and opinions regarding the update, and I realize not everyone will agree with them. I'm not going to be able to discuss every new aspect, but going to be reviewing how the update affected my own personal experience, potentially affecting others the same as well.

The Good:
The inclusion of having a world map that has all the locations you can travel to in the Wizarding World results in a more immersive experience. Having new villages and locations not associated with the HP Universe creates the server's own lore. The updated Hogsworth castle and other locations are better detailed than the previous models.

Having a gear system which results in players hunting for recipes to craft further items that enhances your character's attributes will result in players having a task to complete and be on a look out for these items when exploring, and also encourages players to explore and obtain these items.

The addition of having a plethora of new quests and side objectives that have a variety of difficulty, reward players with experience and gold as well as items that can be later on used.

The Bad:
One of the biggest downsides of having one huge map to explore is the new emphasis on physical travel. While Potterworld offers a variety of places to visit and magnificent builds, getting to these places are now a journey to which can take several minutes, if not longer, when going from one place to another.

While getting to these places can be achieved by going on foot, having a broom will be more efficient, but even on a broom traveling still takes an unreasonable long time. Traveling by fire dust is instantaneous, but with the inflated cost on the dust discourages players to spend their gold on it. The warp key bag now acts like a /sethome and has a 10 minute cool down, meaning that using the provided map of the world is now the only way to know where you're headed, but even using the map can result in confusion.

I realize that the sever spent hours creating the map, and buried secrets that require exploration to uncover, so it's understandable how they want players to explore it. However, not having a more convenient mean of fast travel results in players of traveling thousands of blocks to get where they need to go, which decreases the amount of time actually doing side objectives and quests. While exploration should be encouraged, removing the easier means of traveling results in players becoming more frustrated, actually decreasing the desire to explore and complete the quests in other parts of the world. It also affects newer players as most of them won't have a broom to use, and they won't have any idea where to go or get back to the castle.

Final Thoughts:
While I'm aware that players are not enthusiastic regarding the new spell system, one of the bigger complaints I've seen is regarding the fast travel and the lack thereof. Reducing the cool down on the warp bag that is AT LEAST under 5 minutes, will reduce the frustration that most players are having. Reducing the costs of fire dust will make traveling easier and provide more reason to explore. In regards to the warp bag, I feel that there should always be a warp back to Hogsworth and Diagonal Lane and then have one customizable warp you can set. These two locations are the most common that people want to go to, and not having easier access to get there can be an announce.
Edit: [Got the warp key idea from https://potterworldmc.com/threads/warp-hear-me-out-pls.4512/#post-44725]

I apologize that this review is rather long, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out there and see what other members think about the update.

Last edited:

okethqn

Magician
Minecraft IGN: okethqn
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix
It also affects newer players as most of them won't have a broom to use, and they won't have any idea where to go or get back to the castle.
I really feel this. I have a broom already, but even then travelling between the different locations in early game quests takes so long, and I'm not travelling to explore but rather just to complete the quests, and I'm going back and forth between the same two locations so I see the builds over and over again (E.g. the House quests, as well as a lot of Year 1 quests). The builds are amazing, there's no arguing that, but going back between the same palces like 5 times isn't "exploring" and got really frustrating, but thankfully I finally got to the quests which include going out to Hogsend. I hold so much empathy for newcomers who don't yet have a broom and have to do all this by foot, especially when they have to cross the lake to Hogsend without a broom...

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I think that this is the overall opinion on the server for most people. All the changes are actually really cool and create a much better overall game experience. Apart from the travel is not as encouraged as I think it was previously believed to be.

Here's a good ongoing idea - https://potterworldmc.com/threads/warp-hear-me-out-pls.4512/#post-44725

Also they said they would be putting gold in chests - so they lied to me - and I don't appreciate that.

HeyJared

Magician
I really feel this. I have a broom already, but even then travelling between the different locations in early game quests takes so long, and I'm not travelling to explore but rather just to complete the quests, and I'm going back and forth between the same two locations so I see the builds over and over again (E.g. the House quests, as well as a lot of Year 1 quests). The builds are amazing, there's no arguing that, but going back between the same palces like 5 times isn't "exploring" and got really frustrating, but thankfully I finally got to the quests which include going out to Hogsend. I hold so much empathy for newcomers who don't yet have a broom and have to do all this by foot, especially when they have to cross the lake to Hogsend without a broom...
I agree with you. My worry is that with new players, having to learn all these locations at once, while having to travel by foot, can be overwhelming. Most would more than likely want to stay near Hogsworth, but might be deterred to leave the castle because they would have to travel a long time to get from one place to another and don't want to get lost.

While the map helps players to figure out where they needed to be headed, I feel it just shows how vast the world actually is, and traveling to a place far away from Hogsworth, such as Ireland, potentially decreases their longing to explore. Not to mention a lot of players haven't had the need to travel using coords as much and could easily get turned around, prolonging their travel.

HeyJared

Magician
I think that this is the overall opinion on the server for most people. All the changes are actually really cool and create a much better overall game experience. Apart from the travel is not as encouraged as I think it was previously believed to be.

Here's a good ongoing idea - https://potterworldmc.com/threads/warp-hear-me-out-pls.4512/#post-44725

Also they said they would be putting gold in chests - so they lied to me - and I don't appreciate that.
I got the idea for the warp key bag from this, I forgot to give credit to it and thought it was a good idea. I just edited my post to give the thread more exposure.

Last edited:

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello HeyJared,
thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Revelius update with us. This is something we really appreciate as it allows us to see what problems or concerns our playerbase is facing and it allows us to improve our server.
I will now bring your feedback to the rest of the Poltergeist Team so that we can talk about it!
Have a magical day!

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I agree with most of this thread.

Having a gear system which results in players hunting for recipes to craft further items that enhances your character's attributes will result in players having a task to complete and be on a look out for these items when exploring, and also encourages players to explore and obtain these items..
You put this in category. I (personally!) completely disagree with this. In my opinion, gear has made me enjoy PotterWorldMC less and less. Eventually, I will probably get used to it, but it doesn't mean I like it.

I do agree with the rest of what you are saying, though. One of the things I was looking forward too the most was having one big world map! I think it's great that there's more quests, even if they can become slightly fustrating and even boring after going back and forwards so much - I suggest more quests like Revenant, Dark Prison and Memory Walker. These were great quests! Revenant especially, I enjoyed.
I also agree with you when it comes to travel. I have a broom, but even still I don't want to travel unless it's to my vaults if I have some rubbish from chests I would like to drop off. I once spent 1k on Fire Dust and it lasted me two days. I know people are like "I've done half the quests and used 0 fire dust!" - Yeah I know I don't have to use Fire Dust, but I don't have time (or even want to!) spend ages travelling from place to place, it gets superrrrrr boring in my opinion.
I would also like more warps on the Warp Key Bag. I think we should at least all have a warp to Hogsworth, and probably Diagonal Lane / the Knight Bus. We should then have 1-3 warps we can set. This is of course just my opinion.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hia Jared! Thanks for bringing your thoughts to us on the Revelius Update, and apologies for the late response on this thread. We appreciate your point of view and we also appreciate all the other comments on this thread sharing their own opinions.

Since the Revelius Update came out, we have reviewed how the fire dust system works, and lowered the price of firedust in order to make it a bit easier for players to use. We removed the cooldown on the warpkey bag that was set when you set a warp. Any fast travel system that is used in a quest will now be usable after the quest is completed.

We recently sent out a Post Revelius Update feedback form where we asked players to give us their thoughts on how they currently felt about the update, now that they have had the time to play it fully and also get a good feel of the current systems. We will be taking that feedback and seeing how we can make changes according to what players are still having issues with.

Looking ahead, we have plans to introduce more fast travel methods between various locations soon, and we also will be making further changes to the warpkey bag in future. Additionally, we are currently in the process of reworking gear. Due to the above, I will be marking this feedback as completed. Once again, thank you very much!