DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Travel issue

What are your opinions on the current travel system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joel Crestello

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Joelowo
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I was the part of the team before and I can tell you that this isn't true. As a staff you do play the game differently because you have your tasks to do and that takes a lot of your play time, you have the privilege to experience the updates before theyre out to public and give feedback and ideas directly to the developers. The main problem of this whole update is that players had no idea of whats coming. New travel system, gear, new resource pack - those aren't the things that players asked for. And after all , just look at this poll and see what the majority of non-staff players voted for and what the majority of staff voted for ( this isn't the first time I saw this scenario , thats why I asked staff not to vote) - I think we do have a different perspective, and that's my opinion
The server has always been going in a specific direction to make it more of a 'game'. The players were given information in the form of a QNA and many people opened up about their concerns and problems; the developers responded and spent time changing the systems that were implemented beforehand to make them more fitting for players.

'New travel system, gear, new resource pack - those aren't the things that players asked for.'
If we based updates only from what player asked for, everything would be a mess because everyone has different ideas and opinions. Rarely any game runs like this; every game studio/developers has a set goal when it comes to making a game/update and we the consumers can suggest and comment for changes to be made.

Everything is still subject to change. It is why we have these forums to let players suggest changes to be made.

Your poll is also very... interesting to be honest. As people have said above, they chose the 'I hate the new travel system' but had to explain themselves because that statement was not how they truly felt.

Once again, staff do not have any privilege when it comes to active gameplay. Yes, we were given the job of testing revelius to see how it felt as a normal player and yes we can suggest things/changes directly to the developers because we work very closely with them and they communicate closely with us during times like this.

Our tasks do not interfere with gameplay. Moderation members moderate. Academics run classes. Game design work behind the scenes to create gameplay. Builders build and so on and so forth. We only make the game more enjoyable for players, not to give ourselves an advantage over others. Though this is just my opinion and I do not know everyone's motives on the staff team, this is what I think.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
Again, what will happen when you are done with exploring? You will want to get to places that you already explored as fastest as you can and I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to do that.
OK, I guess my problem with bringing back the old warp key bag is that many of the old warps wouldn't make much sense. For example a warp to The Bank, The Marketplace, The Bank Vaults, and the Mundane Lane Park are not necessary and it really could just be one because there is the Nightbus. What I think would be better was that 8 warps are chosen (some from the old warps and some from the new towns) and that you earn each warp from doing ALL the quests in one of the 8 years, one year one warp.
By making you do ALL the quests instead of just 1 it proves you have fully explored an area. As an example of what that could look like see my terribly made example. The 8 Warps would be Hogsworth, Hogsend, London, The Dwelling (doesn't have a town name on the map), Griffin's Hollow, Wigtown, Ireland, and Gnollberg Port. This is just an example and I am aware that some of my picks are questionable I just wanted to make a quick mock and to visually show that the amount of flying you would have to do would be very minimal while keeping the floo system semi useful and requiring a heavy amount of exploration before hand.
8 Warps.PNG

Last edited:

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
The server has always been going in a specific direction to make it more of a 'game'. The players were given information in the form of a QNA and many people opened up about their concerns and problems; the developers responded and spent time changing the systems that were implemented beforehand to make them more fitting for players.
Three of the most liked comments under the QnA video said that they don't want spell trees. They're still a thing. QnA didn't give us enough to know how travel would work, that's why im making this post now.

'New travel system, gear, new resource pack - those aren't the things that players asked for.'
If we based updates only from what player asked for, everything would be a mess because everyone has different ideas and opinions. Rarely any game runs like this; every game studio/developers has a set goal when it comes to making a game/update and we the consumers can suggest and comment for changes to be made.
I pointed those out because those were the main changes. 99% of this update is what only staff wanted to add or change.

Everything is still subject to change. It is why we have these forums to let players suggest changes to be made.
I've made a suggestion and a poll where I asked staff not to vote - I still didn't get a reply from a staff member saying what do they thing about the suggestion but I did get votes from staff members.

Your poll is also very... interesting to be honest. As people have said above, they chose the 'I hate the new travel system' but had to explain themselves because that statement was not how they truly felt.
I have already made a comment about this. People who voted for that clearly want this travel system to change and it doesn't matter if the hate or just dislike it. The point of this thread is to change the current travel system.

Once again, staff do not have any privilege when it comes to active gameplay. Yes, we were given the job of testing revelius to see how it felt as a normal player and yes we can suggest things/changes directly to the developers because we work very closely with them and they communicate closely with us during times like this.
You having the chance to play an update early and tell your opinion right away is a privilege. And theres a lot other privileges that I won't talk about because I'm probably not allowed to but I won't act like they don't exist.

Our tasks do not interfere with gameplay. Moderation members moderate. Academics run classes. Game design work behind the scenes to create gameplay. Builders build and so on and so forth. We only make the game more enjoyable for players, not to give ourselves an advantage over others. Though this is just my opinion and I do not know everyone's motives on the staff team, this is what I think.

Sirje_Wildmoon

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: AstralFae
Dark Follower Serpent
Honestly I love it and hate it at the same time.

When I first started on PW, i'm around 99% sure we used to have to discover a place before being able to warp to it, this was fine. I enjoyed the sense of exploration, but was also relieved that it would be easier to reach again, making and at least we didn't have to go back and forth for ages (even flying to somewhere like Godrics Hollow takes me like 20 minutes on my firebolt broom, and honestly, with only 6 blocks a second between the firebolt I have and the new fastest broom, I feel like even with the faster broom It wouldn't be much different.

Firedust is expensive, but at least we can travel to pre-discovered places, but it isn't that great given you need 5 firedust just to travel once, granted, firedust can be discovered in chests though, so I'm currently on the path to collecting as much firedust from chests as I can.

But the warp key bag... it just feels almost pointless to me now, I feel like we should have at least a few more (perhaps up to 5?) options for setting warps. Having one just isn't enough imo, because you're not always going to want to return to that same warp and you'll have to travel a hecking long time regardless. It admittedly gets tiresome when you're repeatedly doing this...

An Idea I had: Perhaps you can purchase upgrades for the warp key bag, up to 4 new warp points (so a total of 5), which would show in a "grid" like pattern inside the menu for the warp bag just like it already does. so you'd have selections for "set warp point 1, set warp point 2" etc.

That way, at least it fits with the newer way the economy works and we work for them, maybe you could pay 500 gold for each upgrade or something. Even just something like this, I feel would make things a lot more bearable but still good for exploration. You'd still have to find the places you wanted to set as your warps before you can set them, after all.

Ivan_

Professor

When I first started on PW, i'm around 99% sure we used to have to discover a place before being able to warp to it, this was fine. I enjoyed the sense of exploration, but was also relieved that it would be easier to reach again, making and at least we didn't have to go back and forth for ages (even flying to somewhere like Godrics Hollow takes me like 20 minutes on my firebolt broom, and honestly, with only 6 blocks a second between the firebolt I have and the new fastest broom, I feel like even with the faster broom It wouldn't be much different.
Exactly. Exploration was very enjoyable, now I'm not just forced to do it, it takes away the fun element of exploring and it takes a longer time now.

Firedust is expensive, but at least we can travel to pre-discovered places, but it isn't that great given you need 5 firedust just to travel once, granted, firedust can be discovered in chests though, so I'm currently on the path to collecting as much firedust from chests as I can.
The thing that I don't understand about fire dust is that you need to discover the location first which to me, makes no sense. And yes, considering this it's also very expensive.

But the warp key bag... it just feels almost pointless to me now, I feel like we should have at least a few more (perhaps up to 5?) options for setting warps. Having one just isn't enough imo, because you're not always going to want to return to that same warp and you'll have to travel a hecking long time regardless. It admittedly gets tiresome when you're repeatedly doing this...
Warp key bags can be a little helpful if you do a lot of quests in one area but besides that, yes they are useless.

An Idea I had: Perhaps you can purchase upgrades for the warp key bag, up to 4 new warp points (so a total of 5), which would show in a "grid" like pattern inside the menu for the warp bag just like it already does. so you'd have selections for "set warp point 1, set warp point 2" etc.
Thats still better but I still think that isn't enough.

That way, at least it fits with the newer way the economy works and we work for them, maybe you could pay 500 gold for each upgrade or something. Even just something like this, I feel would make things a lot more bearable but still good for exploration. You'd still have to find the places you wanted to set as your warps before you can set them, after all.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
OK, I guess my problem with bringing back the old warp key bag is that many of the old warps wouldn't make much sense. For example a warp to The Bank, The Marketplace, The Bank Vaults, and the Mundane Lane Park are not necessary and it really could just be one because there is the Nightbus. What I think would be better was that 8 warps are chosen (some from the old warps and some from the new towns) and that you earn each warp from doing ALL the quests in one of the 8 years, one year one warp.
By making you do ALL the quests instead of just 1 it proves you have fully explored an area. As an example of what that could look like see my terribly made example. The 8 Warps would be Hogsworth, Hogsend, London, The Dwelling (doesn't have a town name on the map), Griffin's Hollow, Wigtown, Ireland, and Gnollberg Port. This is just an example and I am aware that some of my picks are questionable I just wanted to make a quick mock and to visually show that the amount of flying you would have to do would be very minimal while keeping the floo system semi useful and requiring a heavy amount of exploration before hand. View attachment 531

I really like these ideas. I definitely agree that something needs to be done. It's very hard to stay on longer than 30 mins to an hour these days after I vote and do my basic dailies because all the stuff that makes me have to travel is so tedious I just give up. I used to play literally all day long, even while I was at work. I really really hope they fix this so I can enjoy playing my favorite game again. This is the only MC server I play on and would hate to not have the fun I have this whole time when I expected Revelius to improve not take away from the experience.

Ivan_

Professor
I really like these ideas. I definitely agree that something needs to be done. It's very hard to stay on longer than 30 mins to an hour these days after I vote and do my basic dailies because all the stuff that makes me have to travel is so tedious I just give up. I used to play literally all day long, even while I was at work. I really really hope they fix this so I can enjoy playing my favorite game again. This is the only MC server I play on and would hate to not have the fun I have this whole time when I expected Revelius to improve not take away from the experience.
Most of us are on summer break so we do have a lot of free time to play. But when I get back to school I won't be able to spend hours just to get between places, and like we both said - it takes away the fun experience.

Ivan_

Professor
After five days of voting, here are the final results:
Out of 27 total voters, 21 chose the negative answer, 5 chose the positive answer and only 1 person chose the neutral answer. This clearly shows that majority of the players dislike the current system and they want it to be changed. Another thing that I want to point out is that 100% of the staff voters chose the positive answer (even after I asked them not to vote) but only 12% of the non-staff players chose the same option, which just proves my point that staff and non-staff players have different perspective and opinions. 84% of total non-staff players chose the negative answer, which is huge majority, yet no staff has chosen that option.
Conclusion: Players want this travel system to be changed
Edit: Now when the voting is done, I hope that this will motivate the staff team to review my suggestion and do something about the travel system as soon as they can.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
After five days of voting, here are the final results:
Out of 27 total voters, 21 chose the negative answer, 5 chose the positive answer and only 1 person chose the neutral answer. This clearly shows that majority of the players dislike the current system and they want it to be changed. Another thing that I want to point out is that 100% of the staff voters chose the positive answer (even after I asked them not to vote) but only 12% of the non-staff players chose the same option, which just proves my point that staff and non-staff players have different perspective and opinions. 84% of total non-staff players chose the negative answer, which is huge majority, yet no staff has chosen that option.
Conclusion: Players want this travel system to be changed
Edit: Now when the voting is done, I hope that this will motivate the staff team to review my suggestion and do something about the travel system as soon as they can.
While I also dislike the travel system, I disagree with your conclusion about the staff members. Only 2 staff members voted, which is definitely not enough to reach a conclusion. Staff members are usually more happy with the results because they helped to create it, but neither of the staff members who voted created the travel system, so I think their opinions wouldn't be as 'biased'.

dorothycheung

Magician
Minecraft IGN: dorothycheung
Raven
I actually love to explore but unfortunately I cannot do so as freely after revelius. I am lv 36 and I would love to explore the whole map BUT I don't have a broom. I need to get gear, then kill the mob in broomstix quest and buy with lots of gold and materials to get a broom. This actually deters me very much to travel to places since these all takes time. I am not a mob person and I like exploring.
And also I agree with the first post that 'They will just try to stay in one place as much as they can.' I mean I am in Portstead (unfortunately warp point set here now), and I wanna go to diagonal lane to finish a quest. Now I don't know if I can actually get back because when I clicked leave London on the knight bus, it dropped me in the outskirts of London on a road in a remote empty plain. I don't have a broom. I need to wait until I have my next class so that I can teleport out. This heavily restricted my movement.

Ivan_

Professor
While I also dislike the travel system, I disagree with your conclusion about the staff members. Only 2 staff members voted, which is definitely not enough to reach a conclusion. Staff members are usually more happy with the results because they helped to create it, but neither of the staff members who voted created the travel system, so I think their opinions wouldn't be as 'biased'.
This isnt the first time this has happened. About a month ago someone made a poll about revelius and the majority chose the negative answer while 5/6 staff chose the positive one.

Ivan_

Professor
I actually love to explore but unfortunately I cannot do so as freely after revelius. I am lv 36 and I would love to explore the whole map BUT I don't have a broom. I need to get gear, then kill the mob in broomstix quest and buy with lots of gold and materials to get a broom. This actually deters me very much to travel to places since these all takes time. I am not a mob person and I like exploring.
And also I agree with the first post that 'They will just try to stay in one place as much as they can.' I mean I am in Portstead (unfortunately warp point set here now), and I wanna go to diagonal lane to finish a quest. Now I don't know if I can actually get back because when I clicked leave London on the knight bus, it dropped me in the outskirts of London on a road in a remote empty plain. I don't have a broom. I need to wait until I have my next class so that I can teleport out. This heavily restricted my movement.
This is a perfect example of what I was trying to point out.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
Most of us are on summer break so we do have a lot of free time to play. But when I get back to school I won't be able to spend hours just to get between places, and like we both said - it takes away the fun experience.
I'm self employed, so I have work and life and a cute and adorable dog so I feel that on not having the time to just run around. Haha. Seeing nothing but the stars because you're above the treeline

Catt_damon

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Catt_Damon
Serpent
We definitely need a balance between the old and new travel systems. Before Revilius, I depended very heavily on the flu network and couldn't find my way around the castle on my own at all. Now, I'm much better with navigating the castle, but at the same time, I bought a broom before the update and I'm sure I would be struggling to figure anything out without it. I like the idea of having a better map of Hogsworth specifically and a warp key bag with at least 5 slots where you can set locations. So after you reach a new area, you can set your warp there and go back, but you still have a warp to the gh and other locations. That would be the ideal balance for me, at least.

Nik_Blazius

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Nik_Blazius
Honeybadger
not everybody knows these fast "free ways". They are helpful if you know them, though. I don't know many of these ways.
^^^ I'd like to highlight this.
Also, without a broom, going to london will be a litterall NIGHTMARE if you do not know the hogsworth train.
The first time I was online after the update had came out I went to London by foot because I thought that it's important for me to go to the Vertick Alley. It was also confusing that I was teleported to another location when I entered London, I thought it's a bug. Not to mention that I could do nothing in London, but at least I could teleport back to Hogsworth. :(

I've posted some ideas in this topic in another thread.
Some of my ideas here would encourage exploration.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello Ivan_,
We appreciate you coming forward with your suggestion, as we appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from players!
However, we will not be returning to the old warpkeybag system, as it would not work with our new travel system, our map, as well as our gameplay and the general direction we would like the server to go in. We are aware that there are some issues with the current travel system, which is why we will look into some viable alternatives and ideas to improve it, but we will not be returning to the old warpkeybag system.
Please feel free to use these forums for any future suggestions and ideas you have!
Have a wonderful day!