DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

VC Element to Classes

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
Discord is fully integrated with Minecraft where you can add it as an overlay and utilize it rather easily while playing Potterworld.

I wonder if it would be something others would be interested in to have the teachers have a room in discord that only becomes available when a class is active and have a VC element to the class. So they would just be reading off what they put into chat since it's likely copied and pasted anyways and can provide professor assistance by giving feedback and advice about the task taking place for the class.

I think this could incentivize the community to use discord more and to jump in voice chat - making stronger relationships and helping the server to grow a stronger foundation of intertwined members to keep it growing consistently. I've see people talking about how they don't feel welcome in voice chat and I feel this would give a warm introduction to it.

Also - people are more likely to join another channel and stay in VC if they're already joining for the classes similar to how people log in for classes and then just sit in GH and use general chat.

Max Fireheart

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Maxymoos
Griffin Phoenix
I personally don't think this would work, since I know a lot of the players do not have Discord. Quite a lot of them actually, though it may not look like it.

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
I think this would definitely be fun, however quite often when professors are hosting classes they're in a Staff-Only VC with them and their class helpers (as well as the occasional other few staff members). I don't think it's completely necessary for players to be in a class VC with the professors, but if players wanna hang around while they're in a class, they're more than welcome to join one of the public VCs on Discord.
Overall, I don't think this is really a priority at the moment, but I like the idea!

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
I personally don't think this would work, since I know a lot of the players do not have Discord. Quite a lot of them actually, though it may not look like it.
It would work because there are plenty of people that do. It's having it available as an option since we're all jumping in anyway and playing and most of us are already in discord during these classes. Adds more to the roleplay element of the classes and makes it a more full experience.

Maybe you guys like reading all the chats, but I do that all day long for work. It'd be nice to just listen to the professor and enjoy the game without having to rely on messenger.

Again, not everyone would use it but enough people are already in discord VC that I think this would be an awesome thing to at least try with one or two classes.

Kate

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: TbhKate_
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Sr. Game Designer
I think that this would be an awesome way to make a class interactive, although I’m not sure how it would work for the players who don’t have discord. The professor would have to both speak the lesson and type it, which would be a lot on top of making sure students are following rules and then later reading assignments. However, I really like this idea and I’m wondering if in the future we can do some kind of voice lesson instead of the traditional typing one.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
I think that this would be an awesome way to make a class interactive, although I’m not sure how it would work for the players who don’t have discord. The professor would have to both speak the lesson and type it, which would be a lot on top of making sure students are following rules and then later reading assignments. However, I really like this idea and I’m wondering if in the future we can do some kind of voice lesson instead of the traditional typing one.
They would probably have to pre-type out their lesson in a notepad or something so they could just copy and paste it in. So they'd be saying it in one chat and pasting it in the other. Or for dueling, during the rules similar to how they advise you turn off other chats they can advise you join discord for better direction and commentary on the dueling to learn about the spells and what's happening to make it more digestible than everyone just trying to stay alive.

It'd definitely be interesting! I'd love to see something like this. They could even adapt it into the game itself if they end up developing automated classes like I heard them talking about recently. Add voice overs to the automated text so users in game can experience the voice element as well.

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
This actually already has existed on Potterworld when we had Teamspeak. Some professors would choose to do exactly this, both the lesson in-game and on VC. If this were to be brought back though, it wouldn't be a requirement of the professor as it's a lot of extra work and some people don't like talking to large groups of people - I know that I wouldn't want to do a VC class.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
This actually already has existed on Potterworld when we had Teamspeak. Some professors would choose to do exactly this, both the lesson in-game and on VC. If this were to be brought back though, it wouldn't be a requirement of the professor as it's a lot of extra work and some people don't like talking to large groups of people - I know that I wouldn't want to do a VC class.
I would love to do this, but I agree it should be class to class

I agree with all points listed above, however, classes can already be quite complicated and adding another element and platform on top of that might be too much. The Academics team try their best as it is and I feel, should this idea be implemented, it would add too much strain on them and their schedules.

Garrison

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Khails
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Vampire VIP Werewolf DD Writer WizNetworker
Greetings Zandanthalion,

Thanks for suggesting an idea! We are always looking for ideas that benefit the server, and we appreciate you for bring it forward!

I'll bring your idea forth and we'll discuss whether it can be implemented or not. I'll reply back once we've reached a decision, so make sure to keep an eye out for a response on the thread!

Keira :D

Professor
Minecraft IGN: ohBelle_
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
I think it might be easier yes, but some people cant get discord or aren't allowed to, so that means they cant go to any classes and get ac or xp to level up and graduate

I think it might be easier yes, but some people cant get discord or aren't allowed to, so that means they cant go to any classes and get ac or xp to level up and graduate
I think what Zadanthalion means is that it would be optional. They could still get AC, and they wouldn't be required to use the Discord feature, should it be added. Just an optional feature to enhance the class!

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
I think what Zadanthalion means is that it would be optional. They could still get AC, and they wouldn't be required to use the Discord feature, should it be added. Just an optional feature to enhance the class!
Correct! I was saying it would be an extra element that would be class to class so the professors decide when they'd offer that extra element. Like me for example - if I ever get my application picked up and I eventually become a professor I really want to do this. If someone doesn't want to, that's fine, but honestly I'm already in discord during classes and I would gladly do classes like these.

Garrison

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Khails
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Vampire VIP Werewolf DD Writer WizNetworker
Greetings Zadanthalion,

Once again, thank you for your suggestion! We're always looking for suggestions and feedback that can help us make Potterworld a better place, and we appreciate you bringing your idea forward!

I’ve brought up your idea up with the team and unfortunately, we are declining this suggestion at this time - this is not something that the Academics department will be implementing. We feel that this would put an extreme amount of pressure on the academics team, and we think that it could get quite overwhelming for the Professors. The class limit is 120 in-game and while there would be rare instances where all of those students joined a voice chat, it would still be extremely hard to moderate and manage. Professors already have the option to jump in a voice chat if they want to be there for students, but it's not something that we want to make a requirement. Again, thank you for the suggestion and we hope that you submit more ideas in the foreseeable future!

Best regards,
Garrison