DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Biggest Issue with Dueling Classes.

Salmandingo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Salmandingo
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
I love dueling in general. A lot of people on the server do. But dueling classes no longer offer the experience that duelists like myself desire. After speaking to multiple friends of myself on the server, we decided that we must finally speak about this.

House FFA is the most common form of dueling class where you duel members of your own house. The final 3 players that are alive from each house qualify to duel other houses for house points. Now here is the problem. Dueling professors always feel the need to add extremely good duelists, infact, the top duelists on the server, to "speed things up" and kill off the house members. So if the Griffins are playing, the professors would add a really good dueler such as "Jackkfrost" (serpent) to kill the griffins and speed up the process so that the final three from each house are determined a lot quicker.

1. This immediately ruins the whole point of the house FFA. The top 3 are not determined by who actually fights their way through their house, it's the people that manage to avoid getting killed by these dueling champions. (Sometimes up to three dueling champions are added per house and i'm sure you can imagine how that goes)

2. These dueling champions that are added to speed up the process are sometimes finalists in that same class, and they can easily target the good duelists on the other houses in order to have a weaker enemy team in the finals. (not saying they do, but this is not a far fetched idea and as one of the best griffin duelists I get targetted immediately every single class)

3. The FFA ends a lot quicker and the whole class experience is just not pleasurable. If your house goes 3rd or 4th, there is literally a 30 min+ wait for your turn to come, and once it does, it's over within a few minutes (literally a few seconds for some new players). Why does the duel have to be so rushed? Why can't the professors just let the duel play itself and the results fairly determined?

4. I've seen people complain about this all the time and I think it's time I speak about it, so I'm going to use today's dueling class for reference. Jackkfrost (previous multi-dueling champion, arguably the best duelist on the entire server) was added to dueling class after the serpents already started dueling. His job was to "speed up" the duels and kill people much faster to wrap up each FFA. These are some reactions and screenshots of the event. He was not in class queue, and was added already after all the rules were mentioned and the first FFA was even underway. The serpents were spared (for some reason) as jackkfrost was not put in to speed things up. The other 3 houses had to deal with him through the entire FFA. Why do serpents deserve a fair duel in this case but the rest don't? Why is he getting added to class a while after the class started?

In the first screenshot, we see jackkfrost getting added to class. And Matty is already questioning why he's added (we did too, Matty)
and in the second screenshot, we see Matty being frustrated over him getting added and ruining the dueling experience for them.

By saying "without even making him duel", matty is likely refering to the fact that he isn't attending as a normal student but rather as a tool to speed up the class.

This is just one example of what happens in almost every single dueling class. I would love to see the academics team get back to me on why this happens and if there's a possibility for change. I love attending classes and I thought expressing this concern might be beneficial for all. Thanks for reading. I have a lot of respect for all professors and for jackkfrost too, and this post is in no way shape or form made to attack any of them. Please let that be noted.

Last edited:

evvie

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Evonnie
Phoenix Serpent
i personally agree with this, as in a house ffa, one should expect to verse players within their own house.
of course, these fights might take up a while, but at the same time, it is unfair and frustrating for players when the professors add a player from a different house to “speed things up”

Last edited:

Simowne

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Simowne
Dark Follower Serpent
Dueling classes have always been a likable and it’s a great way to experience the magic that Potterworld brings to Minecraft and the dueling aspect of this is no exception. Whether that be through team fighting, tournaments, or casual duels, I can see and understand your frustrations but there are some important aspects and points that I feel like you're leaving out.

Firstly, as a former professor, Dueling and Dark Arts were my subjects that I taught most and was required to teach from about 2016-2017. I distinctly remember dueling being such a fun and enjoyable class but some things still didn't add up and often caused me to become frustrated and irritated with the system back then. Now from my personal experience, professors often times will add in players to, like you said, speed up the overall time of a class and to hurry up the students so that the class progresses smoothly. I was never one to do this and simply let the students duel it out for the sake of experience, but it always seemed to go by extremely slowly and that might be one of the main reasons that professors nowadays do so, as dueling classes may take up to an hour+ if superior duelists aren't added in. This ultimately brings the time down to 30 or so minutes and keeps the class flowing.

Moving along, in your first point you mentioned how up to three dueling champions are added into each house FFA to speed up the tide of the fight. In my recent weeks of participating in dueling classes, the most amount of champions added into another houses FFA is generally, one. I think adding in three dueling champions at once would completely negate the fact that it's a house FFA, like you said, and I've never seen this done in any of the dueling classes. This also doesn't necessarily mean that they're there to kill off those who seem like competition or those who seem like they would put up a better fight.

In your second point you mentioned that when these dueling champions are added in, they target and go after the people they think would be competition. I don't believe that this is the intent of the professor nor is it of the champion added in as most times they go killing of random players instead of those who seem like threats to their housepoints. I can personally say from experience and as a spectator that in a dueling class final, almost all the exceptional duelists are leftover even with champions added into class. Now from your standpoint I can see how being targetted may be a problem, but it's safe to say that there are much better duellers than yourself in the same house who can withstand being targetted or focused down so it's all a matter of experience and practice.

In your third point, you stated how the entire duelling experience is ruined after a long wait time. Having experience as a former professor who actually taught duelling, it's safe to say that it is a valid argument but the student should know what they're getting themselves into if they queue up for class and have no experience duelling. I found that the majority of students appeared to come to class this way and expected a grand experience when really it was their job to consider the consequences for their lack of knowledge and experience. As for the wait times, yes it can be frustrating. But you have to also consider how a normally half hour class can turn into a class that lasts for a solid hour without the help of these dueling champions to speed things up. I can safely say from my own experiences of teaching that putting in one or two good duellers can extremely benefit the way that the class runs. I can only imagine that it's frustrating enough for the players, but professors also have lives (despite the cliche), but it's the cruel truth. Professors don't want to be standing around waiting for students to do damage but not kill each other.

In your last point, I feel as if though you're attacking someone who highly benefitted the class, regardless of what students might think. Firstly, JackkFrost is added in the majority of dueling classes not out of favortism or bias, but purely because he possesses the necessary skills to efficiently take out students for the sake of time and the class. I've seen this occur on various duelling classes and this one was no exception. It was merely a way for the class to keep going and not have it stall. Secondly, JackkFrost, in the past, has stated that they're only put in to eliminate the lower years who have little to no experience with duelling and to quickly get them out of the fight to prolong the class itself. They've also stated that they do not intend to specifically target or focus people who are exceptional at duelling but try and kill off lower years, as stated before. In most cases that I've seen as well, JackkFrost is teleported out of the main arena and back into the stands as soon as the fight starts progressing to avoid having complaints and to leave the good fighters in to brawl it out themselves.

I think overall, your points and arguments are valid. I can understand your frustration from both a professor and student point of view but I just think that some vital information was left out on behalf of both the class system, and JackkFrost themself. I too am an avid dueller, but I can see reason as to why certain things are the way they are in Dueling classes and I hope you can see reason within my points as well.

Last edited:

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I agree that Dueling classes can take awhile to finish, especially if you've waited over 30 minutes spectating and are the last group or house to take part in dueling. And yeah, it does seem unfair that a dueling champion gets to join a class to "take care" of the other players during a House FFA for the sake of time management.

Maybe the structure of the dueling classes could change a bit?

Time:
  • The first point that I noticed whenever I'm in a Dueling class is that it takes awhile for players to kill each other during house or group FFA. It depends as well because sometimes the group of players are advanced and have healing spells or it's a small amount of players with maybe one skilled player against a group of beginners. Also, It doesn't seem like groups are being timed so sometimes spectating players would wait 15 minutes for a group to finish dueling.
Some Ideas:
  • Maybe a different class map could be made where there are four separate house areas so that each house can duel each other at the same time. It makes it so that other players aren't spectating another house because they would be dueling within their own house. And I would assume that this is possible and wouldn't lag players because in the Hunger Games style dueling map there are usually 30+ players going at it.
  • Groups could be timed when they are dueling each other along with certain conditions. Maybe the group duels can last 5-10 minutes each. Once the timer is up, if there are more than two players still alive then they won't get the extra AC that would be offered, but only the minimum amount that everyone else gets for participating.

Advanced and Champion Players:
  • There are a wide array of players with different skill sets when it comes to Dueling. For example, there could be Graduates that still don't know what spells are effective on others and then there are Beginners who are able to evade a Skilled player and still win. And then there are the Advanced and Dueling Champion type players who can easily take down a player within a minute.
Some Ideas:
  • If it's known that there are Advanced and Champion Players in the Dueling Class, then find a way for them to duel against each other before they start dueling with the other players. And if other players want to duel the Advanced players, then teleport them.
  • Maybe create a magic system where everyone gets the same spells for Dueling Classes? It could be one or two rows of spells that's curated by Arena Masters. And the spells could be similar to how players get their spells in the updated version of Wizard's PE (with the parkour and magic courses).
  • ^^^ I think a system like this for Dueling Classes would benefit both beginner and advanced players when it comes down to it. It'll keep it somewhat balanced so that the Beginners can still have a healing spell and still attack with a high level spell whilst Advanced players won't seem so bully-ish against the Beginners.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
I'm a class helper and I can confirm the fact that sometimes, if no good dueler is added to speed things up and there isn't any in a house, one house can possibly take up to 20-30 minutes, which makes for an incredibly long class since there are 4 houses plus the finals. I don't think separating advanced players from beginners is the way to go, since these players worked hard to get to where they are. Same thing for everyone receiving the same spells. Yes, it would make dueling class more fair, but the way I see it you need motivation to level up and get new spells, and dueling class can be a motivator. And as a reward for putting effort into leveling, you get better spells to use in duels.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
Groups could be timed when they are dueling each other along with certain conditions. Maybe the group duels can last 5-10 minutes each. Once the timer is up, if there are more than two players still alive then they won't get the extra AC that would be offered, but only the minimum amount that everyone else gets for participating.
I don't understand this part - do you mean that after the timer is up, if there are more than the number of finalists, everyone from that house gets the minimum ACs? This means that the players that would be able to get more ACs can't because of the time limit, but more importantly, it doesn't solve the issue of the duel. The main point of the House FFAs is to choose who is going to be in the finals - the extra AC is just a way to reward those who are in the finals. If you stopped the duel when there were 5 people left, who would be in the finals? There would have to be a way to choose, and it wouldn't be fair for it to be random, so it makes sense to finish the duel somehow.

Salmandingo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Salmandingo
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
I have read all your responses, and I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to both read my feedback and give your responses. Now for my response, I would like to build on what you all said, with a few suggestions. But before that, I would like to clarify on some of the points I made.

Firstly, there is no need to add a dueling champion from the start. From 3 months of dueling class experience, (and trust me, I don't skip dueling classes) I can assure you that these dueling champions simply Do NOT "target the first years" or "speed things up" the way it should be done. But that's a different argument that I have no interest in getting into because although its very valid, it distracts from the focus of my forum post. As a matter of fact, these duelists should be added only when the duel starts taking too long. What's the point in adding these duelists the same instant when the duels start?

Now, on to some suggestions of my own. Because change comes with suggestions, and that's what I am looking for.

1. As mentioned before, adding pro duelists is not a way to speed up the duel but rather make it a quest to avoid them until time is up. That's nearly always how the finalists get determined. I've seen class helpers cast AOE spells in the past and that was actually pretty effective at speeding up the FFA. Spells that light big areas of the arena on fire or simply push a group of people into the air are very effective and fair and do an even better job at speeding up the FFA without making the duel feel like a challenge to avoid one particular player.

2. To speed class up, we could have 2/4 houses duel at the same time, each in a different and isolated section of an arena, or even in two separate arenas. With every class having 3 helpers nowadays, it shouldn't be hard to manage two groups. Especially if each group is just 15-20 ppl at most. This would cut class time by half and would still offer the fair and fun dueling experience for these students. After the finalists from these two houses are determined, the next two houses can get tp'd in. (Now I know there might be an issue of lag, but separating them in two different arenas would eliminate that issue all together.)

I hope you understand that the forum post comes after months of experience with the dueling classes and was not in any way motivated by one event.

In your last point, I feel as if though you're attacking someone who highly benefitted the class, regardless of what students might think.
As mentioned in my original post, it's not directed at and doesn't serve to attack anyone involved. It's simple feedback.
JackkFrost, in the past, has stated that they're only put in to eliminate the lower years who have little to no experience with duelling and to quickly get them out of the fight to prolong the class itself. They've also stated that they do not intend to specifically target or focus people who are exceptional at duelling but try and kill off lower years,
This is hardly ever the case as the top duelists immediately get in an encounter with jackkfrost and the chase goes on for more than 5 minutes per good- duelist. This is the case with every good duelist. A great portion of the players that end up qualifying are low levels when there were several graduates in that house.

Again my frustration is NOT with jackkfrost. I've known him for 2 months and I have nothing against him. He simply does what he is told by the professor and in order to solve the issue, (from my point of view), we must eliminate the need for pro duelists to speed things up and seek other methods because again, from 3 months of heavy dueling experience, I can assure you that this method lacks consistency and is simply not fair.

Thanks again for reading.

Leonixis

New Magician
2. To speed class up, we could have 2/4 houses duel at the same time, each in a different and isolated section of an arena, or even in two separate arenas. With every class having 3 helpers nowadays, it shouldn't be hard to manage two groups. Especially if each group is just 15-20 ppl at most. This would cut class time by half and would still offer the fair and fun dueling experience for these students. After the finalists from these two houses are determined, the next two houses can get tp'd in. (Now I know there might be an issue of lag, but separating them in two different arenas would eliminate that issue all together.)
I like this suggestion. It's definitely doable and speeds up dueling class without any problems.

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
I completely agree with all points stated here. I do feel a small sense of anxiety whenever I join dueling classes, mainly because I find myself in a position where I join a Dueling class only for AC. While this is what some people do, I really only join classes because I enjoy learning (or, in this case, a class such as Potions, Dueling, or Flying) about the magical world. I think it's safe to say that from the start it's obvious who is going to participate in finals. It's not a bad thing, it's only that these people are great at Dueling. The other thing is once there is a set list of players who are pretty good at dueling, the opportunity for others to be able to practice in the class itself (Which I believe is what it's purpose is) and get better is a rare occasion. I've noticed sometimes that some professors when teaching dueling have a separate Duel between the good duelers. I happen to like this a lot, however it doesn't happen much. When given the choice of what dueling style is going to be used in the class, I tend to choose one that doesn't involve FFA because there is no way for me to learn or get better when I'm the first to be killed. I'm not sure how it is for others, and yes, we can practice in the Dueling Halls but it's rare that we get someone close to our level of experience to learn from. And as much as I'd like a solution to this, I can't really see one.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
I've noticed sometimes that some professors when teaching dueling have a separate Duel between the good duelers.
I see the immediate logic in having duels between the good duelers, since it gives everyone the opportunity to have a fair duel. However that then brings up the question of who goes to the finals? If you say that the winner of the good duelists is in the finals, that's unfair to the people who aren't in that duel, as they might have otherwise won. If you say it's the people who aren't in the good duelists' duel, then it's unfair to the people who are in it, as they then can't get the extra ACs. A way round this could be to have a winner from each, but this could still cause a problem if, for example, a dueling champion used an alt so they wouldn't be recognised, meaning they could be in the duel that everyone is in, which brings up another problem.

How would you decide who is in the better duel? What I've gathered from the discussions in this thread so far is roughly what Psycho said in his suggestion on how the structure could be improved:
If it's known that there are Advanced and Champion Players in the Dueling Class, then find a way for them to duel against each other before they start dueling with the other players. And if other players want to duel the Advanced players, then teleport them.
I think this suggests that the professors would already know the good duelers. While it is true that professors do tend to know the dueling champions, this seems to purely rely on how the professors and helpers feel. It doesn't take into account that there are probably lots of good duelers who never go to tournaments, either because it's at a bad time or they don't want to. This way the only duelers who would duel between them are the ones who the professors know, which could cause a problem since there are lots of good duelers that aren't known about.
And if other players want to duel the Advanced players, then teleport them.
In theory, this sounds good, but why would anyone want to duel the best duelists in the server, given the option? However good they are, they would have a better chance of winning if they are not in a duel with some of the best.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I don't understand this part - do you mean that after the timer is up, if there are more than the number of finalists, everyone from that house gets the minimum ACs? This means that the players that would be able to get more ACs can't because of the time limit, but more importantly, it doesn't solve the issue of the duel. The main point of the House FFAs is to choose who is going to be in the finals - the extra AC is just a way to reward those who are in the finals. If you stopped the duel when there were 5 people left, who would be in the finals? There would have to be a way to choose, and it wouldn't be fair for it to be random, so it makes sense to finish the duel somehow.
Eh, I was making these ideas up as I was typing them and completely overlooked the last bit where players were needed for the final duel between the other houses.
To answer your question regarding the number of players left after the timer is up -- Wouldn't it be safe to assume that if there were more than 3+ house players left after 10 minutes of dueling that each of those players were somewhat equally skilled? So, in the end it wouldn't matter as much who the final two house players were? Another idea is to figure out a system that counts how many players a dueler killed within that group and base their rank off of that. So the most kills would go on to the final duel with other houses.

In theory, this sounds good, but why would anyone want to duel the best duelists in the server, given the option? However good they are, they would have a better chance of winning if they are not in a duel with some of the best.
I guess this could be attributed to motivation. Where a player that wants to duel the best can do so and test whether they're able to defeat them or not.

I'm a class helper and I can confirm the fact that sometimes, if no good dueler is added to speed things up and there isn't any in a house, one house can possibly take up to 20-30 minutes, which makes for an incredibly long class since there are 4 houses plus the finals.
You mention 20-30 minutes just for one house... That's really long especially for the players on the stands waiting for their turn to duel. So why continue with that lack of structure and consider implementing rules based on timing such as no healing spells after five minutes or having staff helpers cast AOE spells after eight minutes.

I don't think separating advanced players from beginners is the way to go, since these players worked hard to get to where they are. Same thing for everyone receiving the same spells. Yes, it would make dueling class more fair, but the way I see it you need motivation to level up and get new spells, and dueling class can be a motivator. And as a reward for putting effort into leveling, you get better spells to use in duels.
I disagree with everything here because the usual end result would be that the Advanced players would dominate the Beginners if they were grouped together without any choice to duel players within their level of dueling.

On to the suggestion for giving players the same set of spells in Dueling -- I think this would be a better option than what's currently being done. You mention that players would need motivation to level up, but they're just given these spells during the Dueling class. It's similar to the Spell Wars minigame where everyone has a chance to get high level spells in it. Do players get demotivated after playing that game?

I think it would be the opposite reaction where if a player has a chance to use a high level spell that they don't have yet - and use them against other players in Dueling - then they would be more excited to try and level up to get to that spell that was exciting for them to use. Give a lower level player Conflamorous or Devoronox to cast on others and they would likely be impressed on how effective it is at killing and how cool the spells looks.

Leyla

Caretaker
Minecraft IGN: anoobcarrot
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
So from my point of view, as someone who actually host Dueling Challenges, I ALWAYS leave the house duels to go for a certain amount of time but when it goes for too long, I will get first person to type in chat in as I am someone who also has other responsibilities that I need to go to and can't have duels take too long. I would never teleport someone at the start of the house duel and I will never teleport 3 in. So with the class helpers/profs cast AOEs on the ground, to me, will make no difference as it just makes people run more instead of duel, it is easy to use healing spells so AOE's won't do anything. With finals, having different years duel in different areas won't make sense because obviously, the graduate would win finals every class. If you're a graduate and a champion was also graduate, would you say the same thing? Or for instance if you wanted champions to duel in their own little space, not all champions join every dueling class and that would also be unfair as every champion would win finals or maybe friends wouldn't be able to duel each other in class because a champion would be in a seperate area or a graduate would be. It wouldn't work because there can't be 8 winners if there was no finals. With putting champions in, some times, champions aren't even first to speak, I put whoever is first to speak when chat gets unmuted in chat when the duel takes too long. A lot of the champions or duelists that go in, don't all target graduates, they actually try to get the lower years and WILL only go for you if you start to duel them. Also, a lot of people want to improve and the only way to improve is if you go against someone that is better at dueling. They all didn't just get good out of thin air, they all improved by dying thousands of times in dueling classes and dueling halls. They all did it by going against someone who is better at dueling than them. The best way is for players to stop having truces with their friends as a lot of the time, there is just a 6 way truce which makes classes go on and on. That is why people that have champions/duelists who just go for whomever actually end duels quicker. And with lower years grouped up, that would also result in duels taking too long as they do not have the dueling experience. It would be hard for everyone to have the same spells in dueling class so that wouldn't work, say a level 10 joins a dueling class, they would need like 70+ spells. There are many that join dueling, most classes 40+ or are full. If they were all to join in the arena, it would cause a bunch of lag so that idea would not work as some players computers/laptops handle differently so even if your computer could handle it, others would not. Having dueling champions go against eachother at the start wouldn't work because there are a lot who are in different houses and say for instance if dueling champions were only in the same house. If 3 or 4 or even 2 make it to finals and only allow one good duelist in their house as there is no other level graduate in their house in the class, it would be easy for other houses to target them in finals and they would be easily killed which would be unfair. If you want to learn about dueling for the magical world, there is always dueling theory where you can learn as dueling classes are for practical and actually using spells, you can still learn which spells to use in Dueling I guess after going against players but note classes and dueling classes are both different. As dueling classes are more testing your spells and getting into the action, dueling theory helps on learning how to duel as dueling theory is a note class and that is where you learn. Most of mine is house ffa as that is what challenges are all about, to help practice for tournaments. You will still get a chance to get better in your house as most professors will only teleport someone in when duels are literally taking 10+minutes where they would need to go as professors also have lives. Finals will also help players get better if you make it, we can't ban champions from entering dueling classes as they want to duel too and it would be unfair. From what I see it, the only way to get better is by dueling someone better or the same level. That is how most people will get good at dueling so that is what finals are for. To duel the better people of the other houses. There are many instances of being able to beat them aka, trying to work with your team with having a healer heal the team, targeting one person from house to get them down a player as if you all go for one person of the other house, and get them running away from their team because they are low, they would die. There are many good duelists that a lot of professors won't know about so if we put a good duelist with someone who is not, would also be unfair. So define good duelists. Are they only graduates? No they're not. A lot of graduates don't even duel and even year 6's can beat graduates which would be unfair if they were put up against the graduates. We wouldn't be able to have 2 arenas as that would also be hard to manage, not everyone gets 3 helpers and would still not speed it up as so many truces go around that is why it's so hard to kill players and it is why duels take so long. We wouldn't be able to create a magic system where everyone get's the same spells and + would be no different as lower years would still be needed to learn how to aim or strafe or actually use the spells which would take a while. We wouldn't be able to add 70+ books to someone as they wouldn't have enough inventory space and it would just be a mess. We wouldn't be able to add the spells to their wand as they would have the spells forever and would have to be manually taken which would make dueling classes take even more longer. As I said, there are many ways you can defeat good duelists and that is 1. A lot of practice. All these duelists practice a lot in dueling halls. 2. Dying a lot to a lot of good duelists in a duel. All these duelists have died many times before they have actually got good at dueling. If you have seen Dueling Halls, a lot of good duelists, have like more than 1000 losses, that is them actually getting better and improving. Going against better people than you at dueling is a way to improve, that is all I have to say, have a good day.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
I do think this class was a special occasion where the person added in was added mid class and added FAR too early in the duel. In my duel anyway, there was I believe only 4 or 5 people left with duelists that clearly had an advantage over others and in the Griffins duel he was added within the first couple of minutes. When Jack came into my duel, I found myself running away from him most of the time (not being on great terms) rather than actually killing people in my house which I would be doing if Jack was not added in. The class was clearly bias in terms of letting Jack in so late, still duel in *OTHER* houses which shouldn't be a thing for people attending normally and eventually dueling in finals after not dueling for his own house. This was the only time I had seen an obvious problem in the thing seen as Jack isn't the most unbias person either and I hope the clear unfair treatment will not continue. I also do agree with your points of the people adding in make it not as House defined but I do believe after a certain time (which could be clarified in Academics), it needs to happen to take out people. But maybe instead of simply taking people out, the person could interchange spells with people, dealing damage to get people low. But yeah, this certain instance was terribly done.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
We wouldn't be able to add 70+ books to someone as they wouldn't have enough inventory space and it would just be a mess.
I said two rows of spells curated by the arena masters. Why would everyone need 70+ spells during a duel, it's not like someone switches them off from their inventory to their hot bar during the class.

Leyla

Caretaker
Minecraft IGN: anoobcarrot
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I said two rows of spells curated by the arena masters. Why would everyone need 70+ spells during a duel, it's not like someone switches them off from their inventory to their hot bar during the class.
They wouldn't be able to switch between the spells like a normal wand as like I said, they're books and + lower years wouldn't really know what the spells are or how to use them in a good manner to defeat enemies so still, will make no difference. There are a lot of different dueling styles which uses different spells like AOEs, long distance spells, short distance spells.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
They wouldn't be able to switch between the spells like a normal wand as like I said, they're books and + lower years wouldn't really know what the spells are or how to use them in a good manner to defeat enemies so still, will make no difference. There are a lot of different dueling styles which uses different spells like AOEs, long distance spells, short distance spells.
Maybe there could be a special Dueling Class type of Wand with the curated spells? It would work similar to the regular wands, but only in Dueling Classes. And the regular wands wouldn't be usable during Dueling Classes too.

Maxwheell

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Maxwheell
Phoenix Serpent
Limiting the spells someone can use isnt needed. and making people use only certain spells kinda makes it like where you HAVE to play a certain way otherwise there is no way u win